Is it possible ....

to be pregnant even though you had a period?

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's possible — but highly unlikely. You'd have to have a very short menstrual cycle, which is the time from the first day of one period to the first day of the next period, or a tendency to have long periods. This would bring the time of ovulation closer to the time when you would start bleeding.
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 5:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's also possible to mistake breakthrough bleeding — spotting between your periods — for a regular period. So you may be bleeding right at the time of ovulation, when you're most fertile...Some women have very long periods or irregular bleeding after their period. If a woman had a long period, say it lasted for 10 days, and she had unprotected sex while she was still bleeding, she might get pregnant. Even though a woman is bleeding or spotting, it doesn’t mean she is not fertile. It is possible for a woman approaching ovulation to still be on her period. In fact, some women will begin producing fertile cervical mucous during the last few days of their periods. If a woman ovulates shortly after her period ends or while she is spotting, she could get pregnant
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 5:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Under normal circumstances No. However there are always some slightly abnormal circumstances to everything.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well I have had pregnancy symptoms since two weeks before my period plus some that I usually dont get that haven't gone away yet. My period was 5 days late, normal flow, did not cramp as much as I have been. But I am still really achy in that region. I have been extremely tired or I get tired quickly. I don't think that I am but I have a friend that told me her mom got her period for the first 7 months of her pregnancies.
    MamaCass05

Comment by MamaCass05 (original poster) at 11:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011