VCUG after 1st UTI?

My daughter, who will be 3 in Feb., had her first UTI about 2 weeks ago. She was never febrile, and after a 2nd UA, seems to be completely cleared. The pedi recommended a renal ultrasound and a VCUG. The VCUG is invasive (they catheterize her and inject a fluid into her bladder to check for reflux into the kidneys). I'm not really sure I want to subject her to this after only one infection. I understand this is standard practice, but it seems a little over-reactive to me. However; if there is a problem, I want to find it before it becomes more serious. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On a side note, in the past month, we have used a menthol bath wash in the tub with her and some of those tablets that color the water in her baths. Plus, she is recently potty trained, and while I wipe her most of the time, I occasionally let her do it for practice. My gut tells me this might be the underlying cause?

MagnoliaQueen

Asked by MagnoliaQueen at 5:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she or did she ever have any kidney issues? I would not be OK with the VCUG at this point either. DS had one when he was a few weeks old. Besides the ONE infection, is there any other reason they'd want to do the VCUG, such as abnormal labs or something?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No, she's never had any diagnosed kidney issues, nor anything that would cause me concern. The basis at this point is the UTI (positive through culture). I just think it's jumping the gun a little.
    MagnoliaQueen

Comment by MagnoliaQueen (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If it were my child, I would not do it. I would allow any labs, and ultrasound. I would only allow a VCUG if this persists. Is her PCP ordering this, or a urologist?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well, we saw a doctor at an urgent care center first, b/c I recognized what was going on very quickly and by that point the pedi was closed. When she told us the diagnosis, she told us that these tests are usually recommended. We saw her PCP today for follow up, and all was clear, but she still recommended the tests. I think at this point we may just do the ultrasound.
    MagnoliaQueen

Comment by MagnoliaQueen (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree, no harm in the US, but things like US and VCUG are generally, in my experience, ordered by a urologist rather then PCP. I'd ask for a referral. If a PCP ordered something like a VCUG for my kid, I would think they're nuts. It's not their specialty. In your case, I don't even think something like a VCUG is warranted, but might consider it if a urologist REALLY wanted to do it, and gave me good reason. I find it hard to believe that a VCUG is usually recommended for ONE UTI, and recommended by a PCP. Sorry, this situation is sort of bothering me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree. I've made an appt with a urologist and we go next week. I'm having all test results faxed over to them. If at that point, the test is still recommended, then we will be more likely to do it.
    MagnoliaQueen

Comment by MagnoliaQueen (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011