VCUG after 1st UTI

My daughter, who will be 3 in Feb., had her first UTI about 2 weeks ago. She was never febrile, and after a 2nd UA, seems to be completely cleared. The pedi recommended a renal ultrasound and a VCUG. The VCUG is invasive (they catheterize her and inject a fluid into her bladder to check for reflux into the kidneys). I'm not really sure I want to subject her to this after only one infection. I understand this is standard practice, but it seems a little over-reactive to me. However; if there is a problem, I want to find it before it becomes more serious. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On a side note, in the past month, we have used a menthol bath wash in the tub with her and some of those tablets that color the water in her baths. Plus, she is recently potty trained, and while I wipe her most of the time, I occasionally let her do it for practice. My gut tells me this might be the underlying cause?

MagnoliaQueen

Asked by MagnoliaQueen at 5:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• Here's how it was explained to me: because UTI's are so uncommon in children that young, they like to do VCUG's as a precautionary measure, just in case. My daughter had a UtI when she was around 2. First one ever. I never once second guessed the decision to do the VCUG. I didn't want to be left worrying or wondering. It turns out that she did have kidney reflux. She was put on a prophylactic antibiotic, and we were told to keep a close eye on her. We did another VCUG a year later, and thankfully she had outgrown it. Sure, it wasn't a pleasant test, but the medical team was very good, and knew what they were doing, and kept it as non traumatizing as possible for her.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011