Between me and my husband....what to do with leaves.

OK so my husband and I didn't get around to raking up all the leaves in our yard before the rain, ice and snow came. Well, it's all melted off and now he's blowing the leaves INTO THE STREET. I said, where are the leaves going and he said "into the street and mother nature will take care of them".
UH...is it just me, or is it wrong to blow leaves out into the street for someone else to worry about ? Seriously. I'm dying inside. He's outside right now. I told him he shouldn't, but he's doing it anyway.
Does anyone else think this is right or wrong to do? Does it matter?
I'm seriously embarassed. I wouldn't doubt the city could site us for this right????
What am I supposed to do about it if he's not listening to me?
BTW, I'm inside with our small children....or i'd be out there doing it myself, the RIGHT WAY! (putting them in bags or mulching them for compost!!!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They might clog up your sewer system and cause you and/or your neighbors to have plumbing issues
    Then again,they might not

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's not right to do, and in some cities you can be fined for it. The best thing would be to make a big pile of them in the back yard or put them in a large trash bin. In the spring mow over them or rent a shredder and then use them for compost or mulch.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I know this and told him, but he's doing what he's doing anyway...ugh. I'm mortified right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't like it when people blow the leaves into the street. It is dangerous when they get wet or icy and slippery. They can clog up gutters and storm drains- we had a storm drain clogged down the street from us and it made a big dangerous area of ice across the road. Some of the towns around here have leaf pick up service- you bag your leaves or on certain days put them on the edge of the property and a truck or sweeper comes through and collects them. Otherwise, put them in compost piles.

Answer by Bmat at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Where I lived in MN, it was punishable by fine. It is also true here in TX where I live now. I would check with your city hall to see if this is a city offense or not. You just might get fined if you leave them there. And, as another responder stated...it can really mess up your local drainage/sewer system.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We don't do anything with our leaves either, we have a few few trees in the backyard but every neighhor around us has a front yard full of trees so we have a yard full of leaves. We moved them off the sidewalk, and they are fine scattered in the yard as far as I'm concerned.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would say your husband is wrong and they will become someone elses problem when they clog up the sewers. Around here it's against the law to put them in the street and if someone was caught doing so they would be fined.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Oh, and by the way we put ours in the garden for composting them into the soil
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• So what do you do with a husband that isn't listening!!!!????? This is so frustrating. I'm so pissed off, cause he's careless. He doesn't think it's wrong, even though I know it is. We have no money as it is and if we get fined there's no way to pay for it.
    This really freaking sucks. I guess I'll be outside tonight raking leaves in the freaking street.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I guess you need to go out and get those leaves in bags, if you don't want to pay a fine. You can't control what he decides to do. But, you do have control over what you can do.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011