If Mark Twain's use of Nigg-- is unacceptable for children to read and must be censored adult content

But rappers saying or singing the word Nigg-- is acceptable for children to listen to on their Ipod?

Do you allow your children to listen to one, but not read the other?

Are schools,others over stepping parental bounds by defining what is acceptable in current culture and our history?

myame

Asked by myame at 5:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband pointed that out last night while we were watching the news.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• People are just stupid. They find any little thing to complain about. I can't believe that are editing that book
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I wonder if they have even read the book...It is one of the LEAST racist books out there. In fact it is quite to opposite. Leave it as it is. It depicts an era in American history.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, and they can listen to Katie Perry melting popsicles and kissing girls. I think it's really sad that they are going to such measures.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Actually, I don't think the word is appropriate in any context, and one of the many reasons I can't stand rap. That said, when we read the book for school, we will read the original version and use it as a way to discuss the changes of society.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My son read literature as it is written we avoid rap. I loved Huckleberry Finn one of the first books that made me realize as a kid I can do something about the bad shit going on around me.

Anonymous

• Nigger and Nigga is different
    Nigga is like, friend, to the young black community...which is what you hear in songs
    Nigger is like You're a slave

But no I do not think either is okay to use. Do I think it should be out of books, No, do I think young people need to stop using it like it's cool Yes...
    Not allowed in my home at all, my hubbies brothers and friends all get told this once, I don't want my son thinking that's okay to say. My hubby is black, I'm half black half white.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• wow, it is one of American's best classics. This bums me out!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I find that word incredibly offensive, and I don't allow it used in my house or around me. However, I do read Mark Twain, and I don't have a problem with my kids reading it, because, yes, even though he also uses the word, to me, it's a matter of context. In the day and age that he was writing, and in the day and age that his books are set in, that is the language that was used by the people / the sorts of people he was writing about.

Sort of like Gone with the Wind - it was set in a time where people owned slaves - as horrible as that is - and is shown from the point of view of the Southerners - so that's the "angle" that the story is shown from.

It's sort of like I would let them read a book that was set in a time when women were the property of their husbands, couldn't own property, vote, etc, but I would not condone that mind set for this day and age.

Hope this makes sense :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It seems like censoring Mark Twain is erasing the past. Deleting the word Nigger from a classic book that represents American history and replacing it with acceptable use of the word Nigga. What message does that send?
    myame

Comment by myame (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011