Neutering a dog

Hello,

I have an english cocker spaniel who will be 6 months old tomorrow. Our vet has advised that we get him neutered between 6 and 10 months old, we've looked it up in our doggy books etc and its more or less the same in every book.

Our puppy trainer told us she reccomends him being done at approx 8 months. So my question is when did you have yours done?

Did you notice any changes in them? Good or bad? Has anyone had any bad experiences with neutering? I've heard things about dogs becoming really overweight or personalities changing?

My biggest worry is his seperation anxiety. He's had a really difficult start to life and we are working hard with him on this, but he was at the vets for a blood test a couple of wks ago and apparently cried and cried allll day whenever people were out of view. I worry he'll be like that when he gets neutered. We're still working with him on it and he's making progress...but only very small amounts. If we leave the room he doesn't always cry, but he'll be right behind the door and will just watch and wait for us to come back. It's like he can't relax!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pets

• As a long time vet tech, I recommend getting him neutered now. This is the best time because it will be before he "matures," dramatically decreases and eliminates many physical problems and diseases and also aids in training and behavior. Best of all, it eliminates the chance that if he ever escapes, he can't impregnate another dog...contributing to the huge dog/cat over population problem. Be a part of the solution AND keep your boy happy and healthy! Good luck!
    Heidi70

Answer by Heidi70 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• alter him as soon as u can. it will cut down on the hormones and you will have less behavior problems.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• no it doesn't do anything to them as far as temperment, or anything, but it will help with dominence also. good luck!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We saw no change in our Bassett hound...he's still the bounding lovable hound he was before.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Having it done before 8 months is recommended so they don't start bed male dog habits. (Like humping your great aunts leg) :0) It should not change his personality in the least!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thanks!!! In one of our books (this one i think: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puppy-Raising-Made-Easy-Williamsom/dp/1906305285/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294355553&sr=8-5 )

It said something about having them done before a certain age ( i think they said 1 year) can confuse other dogs as he wont have reached maturity and other dogs may think he's female and try to mate...and then if done after a year than be left in a permanent state of adolecence! I may have the ages wrong in that but im sure it said something like that...! Nobody heard of that? Its a pretty good book! Its been really helpful.
    little.knickers

Comment by little.knickers (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I had my youngest neutered at 4 months so I personally prefer to have it done at an earlier age.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• But_Mommie, my beagle was neutered at 6 months and he still humps everything in sight! LOL! Really, the only change we saw, he doesn't mark his territory any more. He is still the crazy, fun, howling pup he's always been.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just do it. It's really not going to matter. Honestly, I have had dogs neutered at all ages and never noticed a difference.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011