Should there be a probationary period for new accounts?

Something like their first 20 questions and/or answers (or first 5 levels - whatever that works out to) have to be checked by a moderator before they show up, or they have to be a member for x number of days before they are allowed to answer questions - something to make them read and get the feel of how the site is set up and how it works before they're turned loose? Another idea a different site I used to use had for their Q&A section - until you'd been a member a certain length of time, you could not ask a new question without first going through the process of searching for keywords in the question you want to ask. You had to at least be aware of the other questions before you could post your own, and you had to check a box stating you could not find your existing question already.

Seems it would cut down on a lot of the problems that crop up from people using multiple accounts to troll or constantly creating new accounts every time they destroy their reputation under their previous user name. It might even have the added effect of getting normal new members to take time to read and get to know people instead of jumping right into the middle of an ongoing years long debate and wondering why they got their head bitten off (I remember specifically someone asked an ERF question a while back with no idea that was a major debate subject here - she was totally unprepared for the response she got. Maybe if she'd had to click through and read before posting a while, she would've noticed the other ERF debates already there).

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Sounds good in theory... I would vote to give it a try. Though I must admit there are nights where the trolls keep me totally entertained and I would kinda miss that...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• CM catches on pretty quickly to troll accounts. It doesn't take long, so I think it's fine the way it is. Besides what's wrong with funny questions?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well for me, being a new mom I had a lot of questions that I wanted to ask that i couldn't find online, so I came across this site, within 20 minutes I was able to make an account and post a question and get an answer! It was a huge relief to me to be able to ask a question right away and get a couple different answers. So, in that respect I think it is a good thing to let people post right away. But I do agree with you, it would eliminate trolls, leaving more "real" answers and questions.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I really don't think all that is neccesary. If they are a fake account they won't be around very long anyway. I just ignore them, the only response they get is reported. Why is everyone taking this stuff so seriously?

I think ANYONE should get put on a probation where they can't answer if they want to verbally abuse people and personally attack others new account or not.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• if they want to verbally abuse people and personally attack others new account or not.

But see that's the problem - one person's attack is another persons freedom to have a different religion or sexual orientation and admit it in public instead of hiding in a closet like the first person thinks they should.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i don't see the reason for this cafemoms team is very good at finding the people who cause problems. Plus you can always report them or block them if you find someone who is verbally abusvise
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 7:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• soooooo why should people that have been here longer be the only ones to have the right to do so??? There is still no need for namecalling and putdowns. Sheesh, I knew you'd have SOMETHING to say...

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sheesh, I knew you'd have SOMETHING to say...

For someone who insists they DO NOT CARE you sure do spend a lot of time in these questions about the problems that go on. Lets just say that "knowing" was mutual, k?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Though the idea does sound good, why should all newcomers have to be punished because of the abuse of a few?
    If you ask me, the anonymous feature is what is frequently abused.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

Would it really be a punishment, though? Most standard php boards and blogging communities use the same system, CM is the odd one out in that it is so lightly moderated in comparison. I posted a few different ideas, but all of those are used, either separately or individually, across the net.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011