This is a serious question coming from a genuine place so please don't be rude in your answers. If you smoke cigarettes, why come?

Do they taste a certain way? Or do you get a feeling like someone gets after using a drug? Do they calm your nerves/stress? If so, how so? My husband is a smoker and we both want him to quit. I think knowing why someone smokes is a good way to nip the problem in the bud [no punt intended]. He has a hard time verbalizing why he smokes so I thought I'll ask yall.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• I don't smoke anymore, but I used to, and the reasons are numerous and will vary from smoker to smoker, but the most common are:
    -nicotine addiction. It's an incredibly addictive drug
    -psychological addiction to the habit and routine of smoking. I used to smoke when I drank coffee, whenever I was on the phone, when I was driving,etc. Some people are more susceptible to these types of psychological dependencies.
    -it's a crutch. It's a way to deal with stress
    -for many, cigarettes become almost a friend, something you can depend on that is always there for you when others aren't
    -it's enjoyable. It feels good, just hanging there between your fingers. I enjoyed the taste and the feel of inhaling it into my lungs, as well as blowing it out slowly and deliberately.

It's a REALLY tough habit to break. I haven't smoked for a few years now, so I'm proof you CAN quit. Tell your DH it won't be easy, but it's worth it in the long run.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It started as a stress reliever. It makes you breath in and out slowly and the nicotine helped with my nerves. Then it became a part of my life. I wanted them when I couldn't have them and wanted to get rid of them when I did have them. If I was out they called to me. I could taste them and wanted them so bad sometimes my eyes would tear up. What made me stop? DH lost his job and there was no money to buy them. There was money but it would have been irresponsible for me to use it for something so selfish. I was a mean person for about 2 weeks then it got easier.
    Anonymous

• My husband is now an ex smoker. He always said he hated the taste but he did it becasue it relaxed him and helped with his stress. Did say it was just as addicting as a drug. He quit by these things called lozenges and also a electronic cigarette. Both are expensive but they will save you money in the long run.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I started smoking when I was in my 20s and I probably could have quit in the first couple of years if I had wanted to. After awhile it becomes an addiction and you become dependent on the nicotine. Some people cannot quit easily, because of the addiction itself. Your husband probably is one of those people and fears the withdrawels that come with it. He will get irritable, angry, hungry, and even with that will probably relapse more then once.
    Anonymous

• ;Well , drug or not, I smoked and never had a problem quitting. Which is why (I can't ) understand what is so different for other people, but then I decide not to let just anything control me, and that is all it takes for me I have "built-- in will."

So when I did stop picking up a cig. it was easy, I made lists each day of things to do. Lists are easy and it's as easy as eating candy, or having a tea, or picking some stuff out at a dollar store. Like stuff you never get ----being you spent all the smoking money on.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I loved how it made me calm and relaxed after. It was like a high now every time I smell cigarette since I've quite (almost 2 years) it makes me sick.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They just cost so much. This is the most influential reason for quitting and never starting again, but the smell, the NOT breathing clean air, the stains on teeth, lowered immunity, lack of money again, can't say that enough, just the whole thing is really useless.
    Anonymous

• I've never smoked, but I have this to say. I just got off of the phone with a dear friend. Her husband is 54. Two years ago he had gastric cancer, caused by smoking, they were able to remove all of the gastric cancer, but when he went in for a recheck they found a new kidney cancer. They removed his kidney, but it was too late, the cancer had spread to his lymph nodes, they treated it, but before Thanksgiving they found hundreds of tumors in his lungs, & he had begun having difficulty breathing....the began treatment for that, but the treatment caused his lungs to fill up with fluid, and he was basically drowning. They had to stop the treatment & the cancer has spread to his brain. He can think clearly, but can't get simple messages to his body. He knows he wants to change the channel on the tv, but can't work the remote. My friend is waiting for a call from hospice for her husband to begin hospice care, he doesn't have long.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• cont.

even after his diagnosis, my friend's husband couldn't stop smoking. In 2007 in an 8 week period. We lost my father in law, my best friends husband, and a cousin's husband, all to lung cancer.

Please do everything you can to get your husband to stop smoking. Watching someone die of cancer is devastating. There's no guarantee that you won't get cancer by not smoking, but smoking increases your risks so dramatically. Tell him he wants to be around to see his kids graduate, get married, and be there to be a grandparent with you in your old age. Do whatever it takes please.

I am so thankful that my husband has never smoked, but I have so many loved ones who have, and do.

Good luck to both of you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm an ex-smoker. I started when I was in my teens, mainly because my friends all smoked. It used to relax me. It was an enforced break where I would put on headphones and go sit on my balcony and reflect. It was a social thing, where I would go out with friends and we would have lunch or a drink and a cigarette. It was also physically addictive- I would smoke at times when it wasn't enjoyable (ie. when I had strep throat or a bad cold) and I would crave cigarettes if I saw/smelled them. I quit cold turkey right before I got married (thoughI had tried several other times and failed.) I'm not sure why it succeeded that time. However, it's weird, it's been twelve years and occasionally I still dream about smoking and miss it... and just today I caught a whiff of someone's cigarette smoke in the parking lot at Toys R Us and thought 'I want a smoke!' So it doesn't completely go away psychologically.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011