What can we do to keep from getting sick?

I babysit for a family and one of the kids said his tummy hurt and wanted to stay in bed at the end of the day. He's 3, so that really says something, that he would want to stay in bed after his nap time. They were sick earlier in the week and late last week with a stomach bug and they go to preschool 2-3 days a week, so really it could be anything.

We have been sick for 2 1/2 weeks straight, and we have already had a stomach bug. I REALLY don't want to get it again, and we really can't afford for any of us to get it anyway.

We came home and washed our hands straight away. What else can we do? The kids played together all day and the little boy only just started feeling sick as we were getting ready to leave.

I'm really worried :(

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• Eat right, plenty of regular sleep, and wash your hands often .. and as far as this goes, you've already been exposed. If you're going to get it, you're going to get it. Just do the best you can to maintain good health and good habits going forward and you'll minimize your risk every time.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Take Vitamin C and wash you hand often.

If you've already been exposed then their is no stopping it :(
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't know, but I'll give you a bump. I have been sick over and over this winter and at this point I can't seem to fight anything off.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I give my son liquid vits. I also make him wash his hands often. I'm not sure there is much else you can do.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_.  The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328 

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If it is a stomach virus, probiotics or elderberry. This is why I keep Purell on me during flu season too. Alchohol based sanitizers are safer.

Go to the health store and get a refrigerated probiotic or cultured milk ( great for smoothies). Unfortunately I think it takes time to build up in your system, but good to take anyway during this time of year.

Another thing that *might* help is something called elderberry. I am not sure how fast this "virus" will move so once again something you need to take immediately. It is a natural antiviral medicine. I was skeptical until I saw how it worked 2 years ago when my daughter came down with a flu ( like swiine flu) during Christmas. I have never seen my oldest go from throwing up, high fever, body aches etc...to 90% better 24 hours later. My daughter was sick for 4 days as she was the first. The rest of us had time to start supplementing. I only got minor congestion/yucky.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just another thought. Call your friend tomorrow to see how your son ended up being. Just say you were worried about the stomach bug going around again. Who knows maybe you will hear some good news, fingers crossed !!!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 3:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011