Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Wanting a VBAC for the 2nd...but don't want a repeat of the 1st!

I was induced a week before my due date because we were moving 3 states away and my husband was starting school right before our first baby's due date. I had a pretty easy labor, only about 12 hours. When I was 10cm, my baby's heart rate dropped dramatically and they had to do an emergency c-section. We still never found out what happened, I just know that my epidural was so strong and I had to get the baby out too fast that I didn't have time to push...he turned out upwards of 9lbs, even a week early.

Anyone have a similar experience? I would love to hear from you. I want to have a VBAC when we have our second child, but I'm afraid the same scenario will play out again. I know the child's health and safety come first, but I really don't want to schedule a c-section birth.

Answer Question

Asked by lefultz87 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 6 (133 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • i would say it was probably from the can have a vbac with a midwife................just call midwifes in your area.

    Answer by mghtymffn at 7:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Even pregnancy is different even for the same women. I would try it again, good luck!!

    Answer by aheuszel at 7:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • I was 43 weeks pg (knew exact dates) with no signs of imminent labor, with decreasing amniotic fluid levels, so I needed to be induced. I progressed to 7Cm and then my daughter's heart rate crashed and an emergency C/S was performed. With my second, I was open for a Vbac, but again never went into labor. In order to avoid a repeat scenario, I opted for a repeat C/S at 42 weeks. As an Nicu nurse, I felt that I made the best, most educated decision for my babies..... I delivered in San Francisco, a very liberal spot in terms of letting women choose their own birth plan, so a Vbac definitely would have been an option. In other less liberal places, I'm not so sure. My kids both weighed 7lbs, so size was not an issue. Second babies are usually bigger than firsts, so that is something you might want to consider too. GL


    Answer by Sisteract at 7:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • I tried a VBAC with my 2nd and had a failed attempt. I'm pregnant with my 3rd and hoping my new doctor will allow me to try again. I was 42 weeks with my 2nd child and after 5 days of labor, 3 of which were in hospital...I only got to 6cm. Epidural did not work on me, both labors. It faded after just one hour...but, in that one hour is when I actually progressed...after my water broke, the epidural wore off and my progress stalled.Good luck. If you have the support from your doctor/midwife and family...go for it. Hope it works out for you...and I am really hoping I will be given the chance to do it again...and this time succeed...people say, "third time is the charm and save the best for last" - right? so yeah :) that's what I am thinking will be... but, we'll see, doctor may say no and I will just have to get over it and deal and go for the c-section as much as the surgery and recovery was a nightmare. i rather labor.

    Answer by Katie80620 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • Sisteract is right about second baby being bigger. My first was 7 lbs & 5 oz, 19 in. Second was 9 lbs & 1 oz, 22 in.

    Answer by Katie80620 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

  • every pregnancy is dif. my first was 2 days late, induced, and 7 pounds 4 oz, 21 inch. my seond was one day early, induced, 7 pounds 3 oz, and 21 inches long. one hour and a cheeseburger they would have weighed the same!

    Answer by mama2bof2 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.