Question for moms who use baby formula.

I am just starting give my son formula after month of breast milk and do not want to be wasting the stuff. It says it is only good for 45 minutes once it is out of the fridge. I find it hard to believe that baby formula, which is milk based, expires so much faster than breast milk which can be unrefrigerated for up to 10 hours depending on the room temp. I think it is a ploy so the formula companies can make more money.

For moms who use formula - if your baby doesn't drink the whole bottle, but snacks for hours on one bottle like mine does, do you keep mixing new bottles every 45 minutes or do you let it go longer? I have a friend that has been treating formula like breast milk for 7 months now and her daughter has had no problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let it sit out about 2 hours sometimes, its not gonna kil them
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 7:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i always bought powder mix so i could make what i needed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Another person asking and then getting mad when ppl answer the opposite of what they think. Clearly you're going to do it anyways, so why ask.
    WE didn't
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Wow... *shakes head*

Breastmilk has antibacterial properties, where as milk formula breeds bacteria. *sigh* do a little research.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I didn't let it set out for very long. I just didn't make more than she needed, that way it would be wasted.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I've gone almost two hours before but I try not to just in case it upsets his tummy.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Like I said, he snacks. He will drink an ounce here, two ounces there, maybe 3 or 4 later, but maybe not. I will be making him a bottle 20 times a day if I go by the 45 minute guideline. I just don't see how it could be that much different from breast milk as far as being unrefrigerated.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• With my kids they always ate their bottles pretty fast so I wouldn't be making them. But I always stuck them back in the frig if they didn't and they grew up fine which wasn't often they scarfed their food

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• *SIGH* Breast milk can breed bacteria when in a BOTTLE too, because it also mixes with SALIVA, which is why the formula breeds bacteria. But it is still good for 10 hours! Do your own research you self-righteous nit wit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am not mad at anyone but the one person who suggested that I do my research, when everyone knows that saliva is the cause of the bacteria, not the formula.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011