What would you say if I said Jesus was black?

My kids got books from the library today, children books. I didn't know they were religious from the title or the cover but it shows that Jesus is black.
It made me wonder, how do we know that color Jesus is or what color God is?

EDIT I ask this because all I see people say is that Jesus was white.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I really don't care what color you say your deity is, though historically speaking he was probably more tan/olive like others of Middle Eastern descent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'd say you' are probably more "right" than wrong. I go with the theory that he's Middle Eastern and probably darkish but not african. the pics of Jesus with light brown hair and blue eyes are amusing. So unlikely.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 7:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• NotPanicking is right. Being of Middle Easter Decent he would be a darker Olive tone more than likely with Brown or Hazel eyes. I don't think God has a race/color.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can picture him as a deity however you like, but the historical Jesus was Jewish, so he probably looked like other people in the Middle East of Jewish descent. So, I think it's highly unlikely that he was black, and I also think it's unlikely that he was blond haired and blue eyed. On the other hand, no one ever described what he looked like, so people can just imagine him in whatever way makes sense to them IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You know, I do not care what color he is. I care who he is, and He is my Savior.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'd say what makes you think that?

Jesus is from the middle east from the line of Abraham.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would ask how you came to the conclusion that he is black.
    I do not see Him as white but middle eastern.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• He most likely was pretty dark. He wasn't African black though

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I say it probably doesn't matter anyways.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• interesting that I got a downvote for that. Hmm Anyone care to tell me WHY it would matter what ethnicity Jesus was? weren't his works more important than the color of his skin? So again the color of his skin doesn't matter anyways.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011