Math and God...

I love math... not necessarily doing math, but the idea of math its self... the reliability of it, and its importance in every aspect of life... there is something truly beautiful about math. People of every nationality, people of every religion can, and do, agree on math. I was having this conversation with my hubs cousin, a man I truly admire and respect; he is also a very religious man... but in a private way... and there is almost an analogy or similarity to God/Religion in math when you think of "i".

"i" represents 'the imaginary number' which is the square root of negative one. All logic defies the square root of a negative.... but if you use "i" you can solve MANY mathematical problems... such as mathematically explaining the orbits of the planets, gravity, sound waves, etc (using quadratic equations)

I guess my point is... that in math, the application that we use to explain in concrete terms such phenomenons as the planets' rotations, there is an element of faith. That the one single thing that binds every faith, nationality, country is math... we all use the same math... and it, in its higher applications, relies on faith.... the faith that "i" IS.

There are an infinite number of ways to express 100.... but we all use math. Couldnt there be just as many ways to view, express, feel God.... all using truth, but in a different form.

I also believe that some/many atheists do see truth... it is simply a different form.  Perhaps our feelings of awe over all that IS are the same... we just simply have a different equation that brings us there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wasn't it Einstein's quote that 'math is the language with which God has written the universe?' I can't remember for sure, but it was hanging on the wall of my high school science class for years!

I do believe that it is quite possible to approach the divine in different ways, and that many faiths represent 'truth' in terms of different times, cultures, societies, etc. I don't think there is any one path to spirituality. I think there are as many paths as there are people.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think infinite possibilities equals universalism. 10*10=200-100, but depending on what 10, 200 and 100 represent, all 100's aren't equal. The abstract works, but when you're working with 10*10 inches vs 200-100 Kelvin, all 100's aren't really "equal"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I like the way you think. Just for fun tho, there can be no such thing as an "infinite" number. Every number no matter how large is bound by definition to be finite.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 7:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The analogy. There are too many different gods from too many different places to say one is the "real" one and all the others are just aspects found in different ways. I think it's egotistical to assume that any one person has found the "right" one for everyone, and that everyone else is really worshiping that "right" one, they just don't realize it. In the same way that 100 may equal 100, but 100 grams and 100 pounds and 100 degrees and 100 joules are all very different things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have a bachelor of science in Mathematics, and I whole-heartedly agree there is a beauty to it. My favorite courses in college were dealt with logic and proofs. I used to easily state why the sq. rt of two is irrational. Been a few years, so I'll have to look that one up later.

But that's part of why religion no longer adds up to me. Math and science must have logic and proof to hold validity. There's no respected formula that says x = 12 without something to back it up (unlike faith that requires no proof). Mathematicians worked for centuries to find out how Fermat's theorem could be true (finally was answered my senior college year).

Mathematics is a man-made concept to model and predict the workings of the world around us, not unlike religion.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• NotPanicking... who is to say they are not all the same?

They are at cross purposes
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I thought I had said an infinate number of ways to express 100.
    Meaning an infinate number of mathmatical combinations that equal 100.

Was my wording off?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• this is what W would've called "fuzzy math".
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• who is W?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• LOL! no worries, OP..it was a political joke.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011