I think It's time to stop breastfeeding...what do you ladies think?

My SO has been a great supporter of breastfeeding.  He talks it up to everyone, meaning dads that are expecting babies and saying how beneficial it is and encouraging them to support their wives/SO's.  He went to my breastfeeding classes, showed up when the LC came to help me, just 100% supporter.  

BUT...

Now that my son is 14mos he's been slightly annoyed, but only at night.  My son has to have his late night snack or he will be screaming crying.  My SO feels helpless because he can't really console him because he will cry for hours.  I know it's just a night time comfort thing now.  

to be honest it is kind of annoying to me too when I have to always have him attached to me and there's nothing his dad can do to help, I just give in.  I have even tried offering water, yeah, he takes the water, sucks some in his mouth and lets it pour out, or he'll have fun by throwing the water at us, umm NO not fun

I do start school FT  on the 18th, and I'm working 2 part time jobs, in the next week, as well so I won't be around as often.

So when should I stop BF

Cold Turkey? Just suck it up and let him self-wean? Wait until the household get's more busy, maybe he will not even notice?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 8:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have three boys and have weaned them each for different reasons. With your situation you have a couple choices to make.
    First if you continue to nurse are you going to be able to keep up with the nursing in between your two jobs and school?
    Second how is your SO going to deal with your LO when you are not home to nurse him to sleep?
    Third how long do you want to nurse ideally?
    Fourth If you do not wean now, will you have the time and energy to wean later while school is in and you are working the two jobs if it is too much for you to deal with?
    Fifth how much guilt will you have if you wean before your ideal age?

Personally in your situation I would wean now. Whenever you wean it is going to mean at least a week of your baby fighting and trying to nurse. After that it gets easier, but you have to stay strong during that time. One thing you can do is just wean him from that particular feeding and keep nursing othr times
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When my kids are about 12 months or a little older, my husband goes in at night when they cry. I don't even let them see me! Is your son seeing you when he is crying? The kids usually fuss for a night or two, but then calm down and go back to sleep. IF they keep screaming for daddy, I do go in and nurse, but usually don't have to. It has been wonderful for me to be able to get some sleep at night and helped the kids to sleep through the night.

In my opinion it is better then just weaning or letting them scream - at least daddy is holding them and comforting them.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't mind stopping now at all, the latest I want to go is 18mos, and I am willing to pump until then if I wean, it will help me keep from being engorged as well.  I would not be pumping like I used to, which was 10ounces a day, I was only gone 4 hours and he never finished all of the milk so I had a good stock up, but He can now eat regular food and drink water.  His dad is fine with him, he never has a problem getting him to sleep for a nap, my son simply doesn't expect food from him so he doesn't even try, especially when I am gone.  

I think I will wean him over the next week and a half before my classes start, I will talk to his dad to make sure he is on board with losing sleep and we will give our best effort.  

DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• he doesn't expect food from my SO meaning he doesn't expect to nurse....
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011