What cold medicines are safe to take while pregnant?

My husband is sick and I have managed to catch whatever it is that he has, so my question is this: What cold medicines are safe to take while pregnant?

yolin_star

Asked by yolin_star at 8:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There are a couple that are safe in the first trimester. Google a list of safe medications to take during pregnancy.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am 25 weeks this week - so definitely past the first trimester. And my OB had given me a list of safe meds at the beginning of my pregnancy - but I have misplaced it.
    yolin_star

Comment by yolin_star (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I had a terrible chest cold when pregnant with my oldest. OB told me Vicks 44 was fine to take.
    My advice, though?
    Call your OB and get their professional opinion, because who knows what has changed since I had that miserable cold 4 years ago.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Your OB will be understanding about the lost list. I know I've done it. Give a call. I had my cold a month before my son was born, so I wager there is still hope for you to find relief! Feel better soon.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 8:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Robitussin, any Tyenol products, Sudafed
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 8:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Per the pharmacist at Walgreen's - The Walgreen's brand of Thera-flu is safe. The dosage is low enough so as not to harm the baby. I just had a friend go through this. This is what her pharmacist said. The next day, she verified it with her OBGYN. It is safe to use. But, if you want to hear it for yourself, call any 24 hr pharmacy.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You honestly need to speak with your OB about that. Every doctor recommends that you don't take anything, because it is impossible for them to know what will and won't effect you or the baby during pregnancy. Although, a majority say that Suedefed is safe during pregnancy. The plain name brand Suedefed. However, your OB knows you and your body and it is best for you to contact them to make sure that what you're taking is safe.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Found my OB's list of safe medications. For cold he lists: Benadryl, Drixoral (don't know what this one is), Sudafed and Tylenol.
    Fever, Cough, Sore Throat, Headache, and Sinuses all have their own medication listings.
    yolin_star

Comment by yolin_star (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• NONE
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2011