Was the stunt worth it?

How much did it cost US to have Congress READ the Constitution on the floor? I am have read $ 1.1 Million, whatever the case, Was it a WASTE of time and money?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Complete waste of time. Are people actually buying what they are selling? Did the republicans even stay for he whole thing?

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• IMO~ it wasn't a stunt... Secondly, how much did it cost to have Colbert testify? Was THAT STUNT worth it? Finally, Their elected position is to support the Constitution of the United States. MANY (on both sides) have lost sight of their role... Waste of time and money? If, in reading they consitituion~ they DO THEIR job more effectively and stop over spending;  stop expanding the Federal Government's role (such as PROMOTING (not providing) the general welfare), and start cutting wasteful spending that is NOT called for in the Constitution~ then I think it is well worth it!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think it was a stunt and I think the reading should be REQUIRED at the start of each new Congress. Without that document they wouldn't be convening in the first place AND it is there JOB to uphold it.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They should read on their own TIME and DIME

***

You mean like the Congressional spending bills they sign before reading?! Or should that be part of their job?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They are not school children, they should no the constitution considering their line of work.

Most school children I KNOW, read all of their assignments before working on them, too.... All of Congress failed that, too... How many bills have been passed without reading them?? IMO~ Looks like some "back to basics" is in order to get this country back on track...  Go ahead and call it a stunt, if that is what you want....  It doesn't change the fact, Congress (for many years) has been lacking in doing their job to support the constitution...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We're paying their salaries regardless, and at least this way we KNOW they have all read the COTUS at least once. The way congresscritters have been acting for the past few decades, I think that every congress should have read it at the beginning of their session (agree with yourspecial!).

I'd rather pay them to read the COTUS than have them fritter away an hour or so signing off on bills that they haven't bothered to read that will cost us all a small fortune. You didn't complain about that ... in fact, you defended it. Given the number of challenges already regarding the constitutionality of the HC bill (the one that was signed but never read), I'd say there is even more merit in their reading the document. It shows that some people ARE paying attention ~ and that even some congresscritters can learn.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• they should no the constitution considering their line of work.

The only qualifications to be in congress is be of the minimum age and have enough money to get elected. Most of the people posting here meet the minimum age, and they make it obvious they don't have the first clue what's in it. Why would having money suddenly make them aware of it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'll be way more impressed and interested in  seeing them follow it!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Only those Democrat progressives that do not believe IN the Constitution complained...and like minded Cafe Moms. Heaven forbid the Congressional Record record the actual wording of the Amended Constitution that these elected officials are sworn to uphold. And mega kudos to the new rules that require new and pending legislation be tethered to some part of our magnificent Constitution. A million dollars you say was spent? How about the $5.2 trillion increase in just four years of our national debt brought on by Pelosi's progressives and their payoffs to their cronies on Wall Street and the labor unions? That is over $4 billion dollars a day. If all the Congress ever did was recite the Constitution day after day, we would all be better off.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I left you alone..... I was talking to Lori... See the "Hey Lori" I didn't mention you... Are you so vein, you think CM is about you? Narcissist??

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011