I don't think babies like to be read to before 18 months. Agree or disagree?

I just mean that I don't think they care one way or the other. I hear all these people say that their 6 month old or whatever loves to be read to. It is impossible for me to read to my 16 month old and it was the same way with my 3 1/2 year old (who is extremely bright). Trying to read to them before 18 months is an exercise in futility. Who are all these BABIES that "like" to be read to? I strongly suspect that these babies would like just about anything you put in front of them and that they pretty much just sit there and have an extremely easy going temperament. Has anyone ever had a high strung/spirited baby that liked to be read to before 18 months? This whole concept of reading to babies is just so bizarre to me. It does not work for us. You? I mean, I read because that's what I'm "supposed" to do but I'm not sure he's getting a thing out of it.

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 8:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it just depends on the child. My daughter never was really interested in us reading books to her till she hit 2. My son on the other hand seems to like to just sit and listen to my voice.
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 8:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My son is 19 months and I have tried to read to him many times but he just gets up and leaves the room lol. he doesnt care one way or the other yet . He never wants to sit still so thats probably why
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 8:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have to disagree. All tree of my kids have always loved to be read to. Maybe that is because they were use to being read to in the womb. My husband read entire book series to my belly each time I was pregnant.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• well once my daughter started walking at 10 months, she would bring her books to me to read, and would get mad at my until i started reading them to her, lol She just "LOVES" it. she is 23 months now and still brings me a few books a day to read to her. And we read before bed time to, but everyone in my family are book worms, we read alot, and ejoy it very much..
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 8:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't read to my kids...at just about any age. It was an exercise in futility. My 5mo just grabs the book and tries to eat it. Up until they were about 5 they would NOT sit to be read to. They just didn't care. My oldest would sit the longest. She learned to read in kindergarten and after that she read to herself. My next two kids...ugh. Even when they were in school and I HAD to read to them because it was part of their grade they would zone out after the first page. They found it boring and passive (I don't like being read to, either...I find it boring). Now that they can read on their own they enjoy reading. My 4yo will actually sit and let me read to her but we don't read that often. I just dislike reading to them in general. But sometimes she'll bring me a book and I'll read it. Then she pretends to read it to the baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• SleepingBeautee

Wow. Now that's some overachieving right there.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Mine liked being read to from the time they were infants. They looked at the picture, they were cuddled, they heard funny voices that we made to make the stories funny, they heard the cadence of the voice and the rhyming. It was a time where they got Mom or Dad's total attention.

Answer by Bmat at 8:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It doesn't matter if you're reading to them, talking to them, or singing to them. They like the interaction and the sound of your voice. Some children do like to be read to though. They like the pictures in the book, the story form way the parent is speaking, and just the general excersise of reading. However, most toddlers don't have the patients to sit and read a book. They either want to rip it apart or just flip through it. The doctors tell you that children love to be read to, but really that's just a ploy to get you to read. Because reading does increase their vocabulary, it teaches them that reading is a good thing, and it as well helps them recognize words, letters, and spelling. However, generally speaking reading to a child is more for the education of it and less for their interest.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Disagree. My dd had several favorite books from like 9 months on. She liked to be read to when she was younger too because it was the only way she'd fall asleep! She's 7 now and loves reading on her own and still being read to!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They like to look at the pictures...I know that much. When my dd was that age, I would make up stories to go along with the pictures...as she got older, I read directly from the book.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011