My 3.5 year old repeats words... help!

My son is 3.5 He is in pre-k two days a week. His teacher says he speaks clearly at school. But the second he is home, he will repeat himself in a sentence: he he he he he did that. I i i i i just need that. etc. I'm not sure what to think. he doesn't do it at school and nothing has changed at home...

Should I take him to his pedi?

john2007

Asked by john2007 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like he's just excited about telling you everything and his tongue can't keep up with his brain. Is school a new thing? If you're worried, take him in. Always go with your gut.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• He's only 3.... I wouldn't worry about it. It may just be a phase. You said he talks normal at school, so he's fine. Just try and help him at home
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• his brain does seem to be thinking about a lot when he tells us things... but no, school isn't new for him.

any ideas on how we can help at home? we read to him already and we let him talk it out, even if it takes a long time..
    john2007

Comment by john2007 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i have a 3yr old, almost 4. sometimes he says it like that if he's really excited, or nervous/scared. it kinda looks like he's trying to get his thoughts together while he's saying the word over again and then he starts talking when he gets it together in his head
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ask your pediatrician to recommend an ASHA certified speech and language therapist who works with children. A therapist can evaluate your son and tell you the best way to handle it.                         www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 9:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My daughter does that sometimes when she gets really excited. I always tell her to stop, sloow down and think about what she wants to say and she usually does.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sometimes I do that too. I think my brain is faster than my mouth and if I am really thinking hard about something, my brain has already moved to the next thought and I end up repeating a word. My middle son did that too at that age. You can just tell him to slow down and think about one thing at a time. I know I have to take a deep breath and get my mind and mouth back on track occasionally.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• ds 3 did this for about 4 months. i would say ok buddy take a breath and slow down. then he would be ok. he is most likely excited to tell u about his day.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Maybe he is imitating a classmate with a speech problem. I know it sounds bad, but he sees that the child gets special treatment, and likes what he sees, so he does it at home. My nephew did this. My brother asked the teacher if such a child exists in class and got his answer. They explained to my nephew that he doesn't have to do this to get attention because he is loved for who HE is. Good luck!
    pixidst73

Answer by pixidst73 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011