Oh employment...

Any college grads out there with jobs that you don't need a degree to get? I'm talking about jobs of the retail sales person/cashier/restaurant waitress ilk. If so, how do you feel about it? Would you rather be doing something else? Are you working that type of job because nothing better came your way? Just want to know, because I'm leaning towards applying for jobs like that since I'm not having any luck with the more white collar jobs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have a MA degree but I have yet to use it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I just finished my internship and have been promised a job, I got my degree In fall. I was going to look for a small retail job just to have money until I found a regular job for my degree, but I lucked out. I didn't feel annoyed or bad by having to look for a retail job, I needed the cash and I understand that there is a battle for people with degrees to get certain jobs. Most of my friends got recruited for jobs while in school still, and like I said, I got lucky by getting a job via my internship.
    Anonymous

• I have a bachelor's degree in poli sci, and I work part-time front desk at a clinic, and part-time as a biller at a hospital. Neither job required much more than a high school diploma... I just kind of took what I could get, and I've worked jobs like that ever since.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have a BS degree but the degree I got out of college paid $8.50 an hour, and they treated me like I was a complete moron. (They actually asked me if I knew how to alphabetize!) Ugh.

Everything else I applied to before or since either found people with "more experience" or just never called me at all for an interview. ...Had an internship at a major corporation and 5 years in one job working with huge amounts of money everyday before applying to jobs. Guess that's not good enough. I gave up looking.
    Anonymous

• These answers are scary...
    I better not read anymore if I want to maintain my motivation to attend classes every day.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Hi Get Excited & Stay Excited!! Boy do I know where you are coming from. I went to college and got some studies under Veterinary Medicine & Dance, then turned around and got a degree in Paralegal Studies & Criminal Justice (emphasis in CSI/ Cybercrime) and I did not land any employment... Great prospectives, but not working in those industries. I did gain a lot of work experience as the Director of Business Operations for my local humane society for 6 years (while attending college online to get those 2 degrees). I lost that job and wanted to transition into the areas where my degrees were, but no luck. I thank God I had my businesses to fall back on. So I'm full-time at home w/ my daughter working my internet businesses. However, I still have the desire to do work in those areas because I don't want to have spent all that money in schooling and not use it! Don't worry-- keep the faith, you'll get something. Blessings
    blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 5:41 AM on Jan. 8, 2011