Does anyone have any experience with a party that asks for donations to a cause in lieu of birthday gifts?

I hope that does not sound terrible that I would deprive my daughter of gifts but she is turning "one" and she has made such a difference in our world and I see this celebration of her birthday as an opportunity to make a difference in others worlds in her name. This year is so hard for so many families in our community, and we don't need more toys or clothes for her (she has a big sister). I feel like I would be so proud to write about this in her baby book and talk to her about how she changed Christmas for several families in our town just by being born and giving us a day to celebrate her birth and collect toys and warm clothes for people who needed it instead of more toddler toys (that we have so many of already). If anyone thinks this is a terrible idea I would like to know before I attempt to communicate this to friends and family. Thanks so much!!!!

Rosem5303

Asked by Rosem5303 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that is an awesome idea!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• That is a beautiful idea.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think it is a great idea too and I would definitely not have a problem with it if someone in my family did that! At that age, they are not going to remember a thing they received anyway and will be more impressed with the food and party!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Great Idea!!! No I don't think its a bad Idea! It will make her feel special when she gets old enough to understand!!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel much better knowing how it struck you. I know it seems like a great thing but I was afraid I might be missing something. Which I sometimes do when I get really excited about something. Thanks again!
    Rosem5303

Answer by Rosem5303 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2008