Do you give your strictly BF baby a vitamin D supplement?

Our doctor told us we should be giving her drops. This is news to me b/c no one told me this with my son who is now two. What are your thoughts?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did, just put the baby in the sun for a 20 mins a day. I know in some states then do say that. However, I was also told and I did this, take V-D yourself, and it will go into the breast milk, and go to baby.

Good luck!!!!
    pandermom

Answer by pandermom at 9:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• no, just some sun! shes 8 mths tomorrow
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 9:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If your LO gets a little sunlight every day it's likely they won't need a supplement but I give my dd a multivitamin. My vie wis that I take one, so I should take care of her just as well as I would take care of myself or even better than I would take care of myself.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• nope i take vit D myself and i take her outside during the day even if its cold just 10min will do u just fine!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, gave my son the drops when he was breastfed.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It was suggested but my Ped said it was optional unless their was a problem. I never used them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No, I didn't do that with either of my children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• p.s. IMO i think its just something else for us to buy they just want the money! i know vit d is good for u but when they are so small i would b afraid of overdosing! i will give my dd some once she is like 2or 3 years old just a chewable vit!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I didn't know anything about it until I had my third child. None of mine took the drops, we just go outside.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The recommendations did change in just the past year. My doc never recommended them to us.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011