Internship....Doing coffee runs, I thought coffee runs were a normal part of the job

I have 2 interns. One from 7am to noon
another form noon to 5p

The morning intern gets to come in at 7am, with the earliest people because he has to do a coffee run and have everyone's choice coffee on their desk by 8am. The coffee shop is in the same complex as us and he may have to take a couple trips before arriving. Also he brings coffee beans and makes coffee for the day, for employees and clients

I overheard the two discussing tasks and the woman, who comes in at noon, laughed and said he was our Bitch.

Huh? Should I stop the coffee runs and just have him come in at 8am? Or Should I have her do something just to bring her back to reality that she is just as much of an intern as he is, in fact I like him better.

Maybe I'll tell the complex janitor to only do the carpets and windows at night and have her clean the toilet. LOL
I feel devilish, I don't like her picking on my #1 intern.

This is a Paid Internship...not much but $10 an hour

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• "have her do something just to bring her back to reality that she is just as much of an intern as he is"

She should have kept her mouth shut.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Interns are there to learn about the job not for you to have a free "slave". All of the internships that I have done, I was actually given real assignments from the boss as well as from my professors. Keep in mind that if all you have your interns do is coffee runs and basic office stuff then it might be time to hire someone to do that and give your interns something useful to do.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Since when have I treated my interns like a slave? They both have to work 25 weekly hours so I arranged for him to come in an hour before we normally start. I'm giving him something to do so he isn't sitting bored. I pay them while they earn credit, I could do what many places do and not pay at all, that'd be slave work.

Anywho, they do do real work, I don't know where you say that I said they just do basic office work, I have a staff to do my basic office work, they are learning a trade, like I said, he just needs to come in an hour before most everyone gets in and when asked if he'd just pick up coffee and supplies and call it his hour he was happy, not like I stuck him with the task.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If he is okay with the coffee runs then that is fine, but to have her clean toilets, well, that is just wrong and very immature on your part. She was probably just joking around with him.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2011