Would you still be a good person without your religious beliefs?

Or are you only good because your religion teaches you to me so?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm atheist and I'm a good person.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am a much better person now that I am thinking for myself and not following a religion. I no longer judge people for their religious and sexual preferences.
    Okay I never did judge people for that, but I had guilt for not following the churches teachings about those things.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would still be a good person, and I think a lot of people would be. I think it's a ridiculous accusation that people ONLY behave themselves because "someone's watching them" as has been said more than once in the other post.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't be much different without the idea of God. While my faith reinforces the things I already believe about life, the way I already choose to live, it doesn't define it or determine it. Even without the concept of God I would still believe in our connectedness as humanity, in the virtues of compassion and love, of working towards personal growth and understanding. I've already rejected the notion of hell, there's not much my faith does to push me to be better than give mean ideal to strive toward. Without religion, I'd still be able to find inspiration somewhere. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I am also an Atheist and a good person, for the most part :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yes
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't need religion to tell me what's right and wrong. My parents taught me right from wrong ... be nice to others, respect your elders, don't steal, etc. I don't remember a whole lot of religion (went to church with grandma occasionally and VBS but that's about it) growing up so apparently my parents did a good job.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yes...i'm a good person INSPITE of my religious beliefs. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• of course! my "goodness" is reflective of my parents raising (which wasnt based on their religion, no guilt or fear of hell) and my ability to tell what is acceptable behavior in society.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My religion has NOTHING to do with how good a person I am. My own ethics and morals are what make me a good person.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011