• In the Spotlight:

conversation with husband.... help me please!!

I am setting up a dinner tonight to spend time with my husband and to listen to him and have a conversation that does not revolve around the kids, finances or any other difficult topic. Its a long story, but we are seperated and I don't want to talk about that either. Help me find good questions to ask him to help me understand him deeper.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 8:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• what is he into movies 'comic books 'video games read up about what he is into and bring it up it will melt him

Cmm13

Answer by Cmm13 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Is this to rekindle a relationship? If so, try going back to the days BEFORE the kids, finances or any of the other stressors in a relationship. Don't force a conversation, just see where it goes.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ask him how things are going? Has he done anything exciting lately? plans for the holidays? Hows his mom and dad? keep it basic and non confrontational best wishes
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ask him about his intrest. Also you need to understand that most men bond through shoulder to shoulder frienship (aka, shared experiance). Men can sit and watch a football game together, they don't talk, share anything personal, yet they feel a stronger bond afterwards. Most men do not do well with deep conversations (some do, most don't), jsut keep it casual. Ask him about his opinons on polotics, ask him about work, try to take an intrest in his intrests. I think a dinner and conversation is great, but it is more of a womans idea of romance and bonding. Is he into sports? If so, maybe you could ask him over to watch the games on saturday, or if he isinto video games, perhaps you could have a game night just the two of you.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ask him to tell you about when he was little.......his favorite birthday memory, favorite pet, vacation, best kid friend..........good luck!

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Don't get intimate!!!!!
    Teachermom01

• i would let him talk first. try to see what he wants to talk about. i wouldnt have a plan. I wouldnt ask him about anything that you think causes him stress. my hubby doesnt like talking about work, abd i dont think it is a conversation you should bring up, if he does that is different. you are married to him, you should know somethings that he likes. so go with the flow and dont take a plan.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 9:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I know he is into his motorcycle. Maybe you can ask him about where his favorite trip was and where he would love to go on a bike trip. Talk to him as if he was a man you just met and you so wanted to flatter him. Compliment him on things you appreciate about him and try to steer away from talk about the separation. If he tries to get on that subject, just tell him he isn't only your husband, but your friend, and you just wanted to share that with him for a while. I'll be thinking about you.
    aussiegirl3

Answer by aussiegirl3 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with TheDiva. I know my DH and I have had some tough times lately and talking about the "good ol' days" have really helped. I found some old love letters to him from me and it took me back to that drunk with love feeling I had then. It helped me to get over some of the resentment and unhappiness I had. Talk about your first date, friends you used to have. Just follow your heart, and stay away from the negative things. I wish you the best. :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2008