Can someone tell me what is going on?

I was wondering if someone is going through the same thing as I am with my sixth grade son, who is 11. He has always been so sweet and kind and always what I thought a "mama's boy". In fact, I have always bragged that he has always been easier than my 3 girls and that I can relate to him more. All of a sudden, since he started middle school, I have been having a hard time with him. He is not really cutting up in school or anything, but his grades have dropped and he acts like he just don't care. He acts like he hates me now and we argue more than ever now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Probably puberty. I went through the same thing at that age with my parents.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Welcome to the wonderful world of puberty and middle school!!! Just keep the lines of communication open, have rules and consequences, have limits. But give him room to grow and make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. He is at a weird age. He is not a kid but not yet an adult. He will try your patience, he will give you hell, but he is still your little boy and you will see glimpses of that. He will outgrow it when he is about 25.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My son is in the sixth also. My problems aren't quite as bad as yours. His grades have not been effected, yet anyway. I can tell a difference in his attitude though. I figured just getting ready for the teen years. Hang in there Momma.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think it'sa tween- teen thing. Sorry :-(
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yep its puberty.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yep, hormones. Welcome to the testosterone forest. Refuse to argue with him. Set the boundaries and enforce. It's like PMS...only it doesn't come just one week a month. Been there survived that. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• sounds like someone got called a mama's boy. My brother went through it, he is 18 and is fine now, it only lasted about a year.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It could be the fact he's now a junior high school student and with that comes a more grown up attitude or they want you to believe they are now older. Also, the Junior High School scene is very different and requires a lot more effort than elementary school.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The ladies are right puberty and hormones will do this, but keep harping on school work though.

Answer by older at 10:15 AM on Jan. 8, 2011

• He's testing his boundaries -- trying to see what he can get away with. Maybe since he has always spent so much time "pleasing" you he decided he wants to try a different route.
    CayShek

Answer by CayShek at 6:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011