i finally figured it out!! remember this question from a month ago?

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/667433/why_do_people_put_coins_pennies_nickels_etc_atop_the_doorway_frame_inside_a_house

..well, i was baffled, if you recall. i finally went around the house, reaching hard to get all that change, and found about 6 weird, flat keys, as well. i was talking to my old realtor on FB, and she said maybe they unlocked the doors (the 'keys')..i disagreed, but investigated. sure enough, there's a notch in the outside handle of each door, that these keys, or any coin, fits into, to unlock the doors. whodathunkit?? 

i mean, i didn't know about the keys until i was retrieving the coins!! 

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 10:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Okay, I need those doorknobs. I have two teenagers, a soon to be tween and an off the wall 8 yr old. Lord save me when they lock the door and snicker! lol
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 1:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I wish I'd seen your original question. I would have been more than happy to have explained it to you. LOL. All our doors are like that. My kids used to think they could lock me outa their rooms. Little did they know, there was a dime on top of the trim at all times. I am not a snoopy mom. I don't read journals or stuff like that. But, I AM a parent. And, the occasional "glance" in the room is just good parenting in my book.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Not so scary then.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yeah, i can't do the clicky-thing.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• That's crazy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would not have known either. Kind of interesting and scary at the same time. Can they be unlocked from the outside in the same way?
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• the lock is on one side, and the notch is on the other side. so, its a good thing..there are only locks on the bedrooms/bathroom doors..so, having a 5yo, its good to know there's a way to unlock from inside the hallway.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Hey that's kinda cool.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My sister uses pennies to lock her daughter out of her bedroom, otherwise it only takes her a second to terrorize my sister's room! lol Sometimes my daughter locks her door by accident and I have to use a credit card, because our doors only have a tiny hole on the outer doorknob. The credit card works fine...actually I use an old petsmart gift card now that only has like $2 on it rather then bending up credit cards.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011