Has anyone ever suffered from hypokalemia (really low potassium)?

I posted a question earlier about high blood pressure medication my husband is taking and after my own research, I think his bad side effects may be due to low potassium levels. It's a diuretic and those will lower potassium. My husband has all of the symptoms. I've read you can even die from it if it gets bad enough, and I'm worried I keep begging him to call the doctor, but he won't. I just took him a banana and made him eat it. Anyways, enough babbling, but if you've had hypokalemia, how did you feel and do you know of any ways to increase potassium quickly?

He says he feels absolutely horrible, but has no cold or flu symptoms and has no fever. He is a tough guy and he is scaring me with how bad he feels.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• I went to the ER one time with totally different symptoms, and ended up getting an IV of potassium & a heart monitor for 4 days (both, in the hospital, for 4 days). Hmm, now I'm starting to wonder if mine is low again...the only problem with potassium is it REALLY affects the heart, so it can be dangerous to take a supplement without supervision - increasing it too much too soon can cause major problems (that's why I was monitored while I was receiving it). Drag him to the doctor if you have to, if you think that's the problem - too low is just as bad as too high!
    Anonymous

• my dad (88yo) has to take a supplement for potassium, because of the same reason. maybe your dh should, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I went to the er once. I was really shaky, short of breath, I thought I was having a panic attack. My mom took my bp and it was 88/62. Now my bp is always low, around 100/70, but its never been that low. And usually anxiety makes it higher. So I went cause I was kinda dizzy and just off feeling too. My oxygen was normal, everything was normal, ekg borderline but that's normal for me due to a condition I have. My labs came back and they said my potassium was low. Told me to go home and eat a banana. I also have supplement pills I take every so often, but all my labs since have been normal. I just try to eat more potassium .
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yea, I'm going to buy him some tomorrow. I'm considering even calling his doctor right now and asking about him, though I don't know if they'll talk to me. He's so stubborn and just says he'll call in the morning, but he seriously says he feels like he's dying and has never felt this bad. Hopefully the amount in that banana will hold him over until morning. I just have a really bad feeling about all of this!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011