Ear Infection

My son has had an ear infection for five days now. They had him on Amoxicillen but just switched him to Augmenten which is supposed to knock it out. What I want to know is why is it that he had an ear infection is October, then another in November when he had pneumonia, and now has another but both ears? What can I do to prevent this?

I've adjusted his bed so that he sleeps at a slant, I've gotten the saline nasal spray so that the congestion he has is a little but under control, I've also cut out milk because I was allergic to it when I was younger and I give him rice milk or soy instead. I've gotten him probiotics so that he can get some of his good bacteria back that the other antibiotics killed, I've friggin sanitized EVERYTHING. He hasn't had a binky since he was 2 months old and I've breastfed him and still do so at night time when I'm not in school or working. (He's 17 months and in the process of weaning)

The only change is that he started Daycare in October, but I didn't think you could like, catch an ear infection or pneumonia.

Any thoughts? Every little bit counts. If nothing else some feedback telling me I've done all I can is enough...I just need to know.

LogansMama09

Asked by LogansMama09 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would take him to an ENT. It may be that he needs tubes in his ears. Hope he feels better soon.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Oh, and he has an appt. with ENT on Thursday.
    LogansMama09

Comment by LogansMama09 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You are a trooper/supermom. 17 months and you are still nursing?! That is amazing. I've done everything you've done and my 9 month-old has had ear infections since Nov (just recently got rid of it). She was on 6 different antibiotics. We finanlly took her to see two ear-nose-throat specialists, one of which is extremely reputable (Associate dean at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia - Otolaryngology department)...What we learned is that most pediatricians err on the safe side by slightly over-prescribing antibiotics.- with good intention. If they see a child with fluid in his/her ears, they most likely will prescribe antibiocs. However the child can already get rid of the infection, but the fluid may still be there. It may take a week or 2 or more to be completely gone. Sometimes when they cry too hard, it could also appear as if the ears are infected. I am running out of space...let me do another post
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree with sta517 take him to an ENT. My oldest daughter had ear infections constantly for the first three years of her life. It was non stop. When she got tubes in her ears, the infections stopped.

The first year of daycare is always the worse. They are exposed to all sorts of crude and are sick constantly. Seems like after the first year its not so bad and there immunity system is stronger.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't see why he should have tubes in his ears when he's been an all around healthy child for the first 17 months of his life and only recently has had problems.
    LogansMama09

Comment by LogansMama09 (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Nursing in bed...you want the kid to be somewhat vertical with the last few gulps. You don't want milk accumulating in the back of his throat that can make its way near the ear canal, causing infections. With regards to catching ear infections, you don't catch it. But if your kid caugh a cold from another kid from daycare, and he doesn't know how to blow his nose, and if he/she is on the petite side, all the factors combined will contribute to increased risk of ear infections. I would highly recommend you get a second opinion, if you have the time and insurance permits. I am not advocating tubes or no tubes, but there's a kid in my older daughter's class that delayed getting tubes, as a result has lost some of his hearing.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No, it makes sense for some children to get tubes, but this is the first SERIOUS ear infection. The others were mild and subsided without issue. Why put tubes in my son's ears after one really bad infection? Seems a little bit ridiculous to me.
    LogansMama09

Comment by LogansMama09 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It sounds like it's due to starting day care. You can't "catch" an ear infection, per se, but it's easy to pick up bacteria that can cause them in an environment with so many other kids.

IF the infections keep up at the rate they're going, tubes could help. They allow drainage past the ear drum, which many young kids have a problem with simply because of the way the eustachian tubes are situated at that age (i.e., too level, not slanted enough to allow proper drainage on their own). Pair that with bacteria picked up at day care, and it's not fun. But that's something to discuss with the ENT, and only if you continue to see a persistent problem.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Remember to take care of yourself as well. It's rough dealing with a kid with ear infections....I ONLY KNOW IT TOO WELL...
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yeah, I haven't slept for four days and I miss it....a lot.
    LogansMama09

Comment by LogansMama09 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011