How about a fun debate?

Ok, so I was listening to the radio the other morning while driving my boys to school and a woman called in to the radio station. She home schools her two children and gives her children straight A's even if they do not deserve them in order for them to get into very good colleges. She called in because she could not understand why her husband was so mad at her when he found out.
What is your take on this?

Here is my take, and everyone can speak their mind..
I for one agree with the husband. She is not helping her children, she is hindering them. If they are not learning the material, how are they going to do academically in college? It would in essence be like handing a scalpel to a Janitor and asking him to perform brain surgery.

SJMarriott

Asked by SJMarriott at 11:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree it is wrong, but how could you stop her? They still have to pass state tests and what not. She doesn't grade those... in fact, I don't think she is even allowed to administer them without a proctor with her. And if they get into college, they will quickly fail out unless she plans on doing their work for them there too. She is just setting them up for future failure, when they enter the world completely INCOMPETENT.

CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When they take the ACT / SAT, they will see how much they have been damaged. Grades are not enough for universities; they also look at standardized test scores, activities, and the all-important application essays.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree that she is NOT helping her kids at all. However, to get into the good colleges, they will have to take SAT/ACT tests. And those aren't given by the parent. What will she do when they can't pass that and get into college?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i agree with you
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Idiocy...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree with you... also how will they even get a sense of pride when receiving a good grade if they always get them. They will never have to push themselves. She will have a rude awakening when they take their SAT/ACT LOL

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree that she is likely doing her kids a disservice.

If you are going to home-school, and use a grading system, you should make sure your kids are earning the grades you are giving them.

I home-school, but I do not give my kids grades at all. They will not have a transcript when applying for college. If college is a choice they make, there are other options. SAT/ACTs will be taken, along with essays written and portfolios submitted. Grades are not the end all be all of academics.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• She's robbing her children of an education, AND making homeschooling parents look bad. How sad.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 11:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Glad to hear ya'lls take on this. I do not know much about home schooling, so I was not sure about SAT/ACT, so that is a good thing.
    SJMarriott

Comment by SJMarriott (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree with you. She's setting them up for failure, and they will expect everything to be handed to them just like their grades are. That's really sad. At least her husband is smart enough to get upset!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011