Whats your thoughts on..

seeing a therapist? Have you ever gone? Do you think they really help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• They can really help. It's a great way to work through stuff.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i didnt like my therapist so it didnt help me, but im sure if you found one you liked it would be beneficial
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The first therapist I ever saw actually made my life worse, but then again at 15 everything made my life worse. When I started seeing a therapist I liked, it helped for a while until she started telling me things I didn't even want to admit to myself so I stopped going. You have to really be open to helping yourself first and being open to looking at things in a different perspective in order for a therapist to be able to help you. Some people just aren't as ready as they think they are.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have been wanting to see someone about my son's near drowning but still have yet to. I need/want to. I'll let you know how it goes... :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i think they work when you are willing to work with them and you don't hold back and you listen to everything they have to say with an open mind
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I really think that for some people it can be very helpful. I was forced to see a therapist because my mother said I was a "pathological liar" when she was in a custody battle between her and my grandparents (who were raising me). I remembered being abused when my mom had had custody of me when I was a younger child, I told the judge that, she claimed my grandparents had brainwashed me, eventually got custody again (abuse began again) and made me see a therapist for my "lying problem." Every time I tried to tell someone, she made something new up and made me look like a liar, so eventually I stopped talking until my grandparents got me back several years later. For me, no therapy didn't work because I didn't need it for the reasons I was being sent, and I couldn't tell the therapist the truth about the abuse. Now, I think a therapist WOULD help me because I can finally talk about the abuse and stuff.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I've gone before and as long as you have a reputable one that you click with (very important, the clicking) it can be incredibly helpful.
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 2:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The only caution I'd make is that poor therapists (like bad doctors) can do a lot of damage to vulnerable people. Make sure you get recommendations from people who have been genuinely helped.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• never go to see them , when im hurted or really upset or depressed i just dont take any decision, and thanks to my freind and familly that support me in those moment , without strong social link we can't support all barieres and problems in our life ,
    Wish you courage in ur life
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 2:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I just had this conversation earlier with my cousin and my mom. We pointed out to my mom how she and my aunt made it a point to always say, "White folks are crazy. Therapist? Thats for white folks." etc. Growing up we were taught in an off handed sort of way that seeking that type of help is for "white" people.

I am 25 with 4 kids and I deal with them all alone for the major portion of the year. Dh is only home 5-6 times a year. I am the first to admit that I need help and its been a long time coming. Unfortunately it wasn't until a year ago that i actively began seeking help. By that point I was really really gone mentally.

I still have high levels of stress and I am working on it. But yes, they CAN help if you take the advice and be sure to have a GOOD therapist, not some hole in the wall doc.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011