How divided are the Dems right now?

There are a bunch of articles out on this right now, but this one has the most background stats included: Democrats' defection from Pelosi is historic

Long story short - this is the first time ever that this many people from their own party have purposely voted for someone besides the outgoing speaker (even though the vote in the minority is symbolic, it's basically a way of saying FU instead of voting for them when they won't win or abstaining)

If they can't even get on the same page for a symbolic vote, what does that say about them putting up a "fight" against future legislation from those evil pubs?  Or are those 20 going to end up treated the same way she treats Obama when he dares to contradict her?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh NP, I just love these political debate questions you pose, lol Invariably, someone is going to get their panties in a wad, so I'm just going to watch this debate unfold :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The head of the DNC (that would be sweets boss) said the top goal of the DNC is to get Nancy back into the speaker position. They just absolutely do NOT listen to the people. That is an issue that will split the party hard.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• CM dems won't even answer your question. Speaks volumes!!! ROFL
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The so called dems that are running this admin. are progressives/marxists, so I can see where there will be a divide, the real democrats didn't really sign up for the progressive/marxist agenda but they were not in a position to balk at it either. They don't have to play that game any more… The marxists are easy to spot, they pretend like everything is hunky dory...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Oh and as far as Nancy, I'm sure she will continue acting as if nothing has changed…
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Man Dems did see that they need to make changes, and Nancy is one of them. She's living in la-la land. It will definitely be a problem. I think it will be interesting to watch it unfold.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There will be a concerted move towards the middle - Obama learned from the last Clinton admin. that you will need to WORK WITH a Republican House majority. If Obama is smart (and putting Dailey in is a VERY SMART move) he can finagle his way through a very difficult political situation.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know that this really means much. Of course the Dems are divided; they took a huge hit in this past election, Obama's approval rating continues to fall, and the people aren't accepting a lot of the bills they have put forth. There have always been Dems not toeing the party line, just as the Pubs don't. I'm hoping that this is an indication that this means there is hope for actually getting something done in the next Congressional term. Not a lot of hope, but some.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There will be a concerted move towards the middle - Obama learned from the last Clinton admin. that you will need to WORK WITH a Republican House majority.

Obama is not going to actually move to the middle. He is going to bypass congress, (see net neutrality, cap and trade thru the EPA etc..)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm a lib that can't f*cking stand Pelosi...I've wanted her our for a long time. She is just DUMB & makes lots of dems look bad.

Yeah, dems are divided...but so are Republicans.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011