Don't know what to do about this. Any advice? Daughter is 18 months...

My daughter Alice is awesomely good but obviously, like any child, you're going to have to say no when she gets into something or is doing something dangerous. When she does something wrong all we do is say no and if she doesn't listen we walk over and take her hand and walk her away from the situation. That's all. We don't hit her or anything. Well about 3 two months ago she started hitting herself. Any time we say no, she will hit herself in the head with her hand or she'll smack her belly. Now obviously she is getting it from somewhere. My boyfriend and roommate don't hit her and we don't hit each other. So... I'm not sure what to do. I'm planning on bringing it up to her pediatrician in a week at her check up and maybe talking to a child psychologist but has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it's t.v. she's seen us watch. I mean, we do watch Law and Order and stuff like that sometimes. I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

Lynda

MommyMexicano87

Asked by MommyMexicano87 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 17 months old and does the same thing i dont know why he only does it when we tell him no im gonna talk to his dr next time we go we tried telling him no when he does it but he just keeps doing it
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Are you making a big deal about it to her? Maybe she sees how much of a reaction she gets from you and feels like thats how to control the situation.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Is she in daycare?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No, she's not in daycare.
    MommyMexicano87

Comment by MommyMexicano87 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• She may be getting frustrated. My dd did this too but it could be because she saw her uncles hitting each other all the time (playing around) they were 15 and 9 at the time
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm sure she's fine. For sure tell the Doctor about it. I would be careful who you leave her with i.e roommate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son was doing this at one time and I ignored it. I told the doctor about it when I went just to be sure and he said I did the right thing. Sometimes kids do things just to get us to pay attention, Then again, you might want to get her checked for autism.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2011