my 18 year old joined the army

my 18 year old son met a girl two wks ago. He & I exchanged nasties cus he & girl decided to spend the nite at my house. I objected, he left. he went to her apt for a wk, she kicked him out, he went to a guy friends house for 2 days. I havent heard a word from him this entire time. He walked into the house 3 hours ago, & announced he joined the army. im speechless, devastated, shocked & hurt! WTF!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well that will straighten his butt up or scare the crap piss out of him.

Anonymous

• thanks! that made me laugh. i think i just gained a thousand more wrinkles and my hair went gray instantly. lol
    Anonymous

• Boy, does that kid have a surprise waiting for him! He thought mom was tough...! Hon, don't worry. If he was that disrespectful and rebellious to you, it's probably the best thing for him.
    TeeJai

Answer by TeeJai at 11:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I agree with the other ladies.
    He just thinks things are bad now- wait until he has no choice but to follow rules.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• omg! tha's very sad. my husband joined the army when after couple week i dated him. so i hated hated so much.
    __baovang

Answer by __baovang at 2:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Sounds like he wasn't sure which way his life was going to take him, and now he decided the Army. You can look at it 2 ways. #1, he has ruined his life and I just don't know what to do or #2, be proud of him for doing something with his life. I know you are probably thinking going to Iraq, overseas somewhere else, all kinds of stuff. Things can happen at home just like they could anywhere else.He will be learning, and its not going to be easy. He will need your support, I promise you that. I would look at it as him doing something good with his life. Children are never too far away that you can't save money to go see them. Be there for him and I wish you luck. I wish you had been told better.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Hey Ms. Anonymous, my post is right below yours, my kid does absolutely nothing but work 25 hours a week and sit on his butt. I wish he would join the army! It will be good for him. This having kids is rough. I feel for you. My son moved out and an army recruiter lives right below him, I wish he would talk him into it! It will be OK, you will be proud of him! He's doing something with his life!
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Tell him you are proud that he made an adult decision and help him pack. He'll be fine. Support his decision even if you don't agree with it. It's what we parents do.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• He may have joined the Army out of anger, frustration, spite, or inpulse....but once you sign on that dotted line you belong to the Army no matter what your reasoning was. He may be immature, rash, impulsive, and disrespect but your little boy is about to enter a whole new world. There isn't much you can do. He made a decison (perhaps a good one perhaps a poor one) but we all have to live with the consequences of our actions. So help him pack when the time comes, provide him support, and pray for him. He may go in as a boy but he will come out a man. I hope for his sake and yours that he will be safe and free from harm. Tell him you are hurt and scared but he is an adult and made an adult decision. We don't always agree with our children and we can't always fix their mistakes or solve their problems. He is about to tackle the hardest job he will ever have. Tell him how much you love him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My hubby tells me that he didn't understand what it meant to be a man until he was in the Navy. To be a part of the military is to be a part of a family with similar hearts and minds. The most intelligent, most physically fit, most honorable people share this experience. It's a far car from hangin' with the boys on the streets. He will be surrounded with other young people striving to become the best adults they can. And he will have tremendous mentors and teachers and friendships that will last a lifetime. Tell your son you also want what's best for him and that you are proud of him and love him. He has taken a the first footstep on his right of passage to become a man. Remember, you made him strong, they will make him Army strong. He will be allright, mama. Blessed Be. GG
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 7:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2008