What would you do.. S/O apparently forgot my birthday..

My birthday is next Friday and I've reminded my other half twice to gt off at 5 that day so he can make it to my birthday dinner (that my parents and family throw for me). He came home today with his schedule (he writes the schedule) and he scheduled himself to work until 8.

Part of me wants to tell him so he can fix it, but at the same time it feels like crap that he can't bother to remember that it is my birthday, even after I reminded him twice. I think I'm also a bit touchy about it because this is the third time something else has been more important on my birthday. My birthday isn't that big of a deal, it isn't a big to-do or anything, but it would be nice if my S/O would make the effort to be there.

Would you just let it go and have your birthday dinner without him, or would you say something? If you would say something, would you be nice about it or would you be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I would say something. He might have forgot, or he might remember tomorrow, but at least you can get past it
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would let it go. I do believe work is more important. Go and have a celebration with your family. He may realize later what he did and feel bad about it and make it up to you :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Just throwing it out there. He is a store manager at Pizza Hut. He is scheduled 55 hours next week, and his boss has been telling him for weeks that he needs to cut back to 45. There is no reason for him to NOT get off early. I think that is why I'm so irritated by it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Well do not feel bad, I have been married for 18 years he still does not know. You just can not win.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Either way your going to be upset... 1. If you tell him and he says "Oh crap I forgot i'm sorry".. you'll be mad 2. If you DONT tell him and he doesnt remember on his own before friday then you will def be mad. I'd just take a casual look at the schedule and be like "Oh....so I guess you werent able to get off for my birthday dinner? That sucks".. lol Hopefully he can get it changed.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would say something. My DH is a very forgetful person, and yours sounds like he is as well. Just remind him and ask him to redo his schedule.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Leave it. You told him once . More than that is nagging right? Anyway have a blast even if he isnt there. And really enjoy yourself. Maybe stay at a family members house overnight and beam when he asks you about it the next day. Tell him happily all about it. and dont act mad at all. If he doesnt make it up to you dont sweat it. You will earn cool wife points and he may feel like you had a little too much fun without him and try to seem a little more fun around you. Also he will think youre really cool for not busting him on it.
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 12:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Could he be tricking you? Either way why not remind him about dinner out that night without saying it's your day.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would say:

If you'd like to be miserable, plan your life in order to be as mad, unhappy, put upon or ripped off as possible.

If you'd like to have many more opportunities to feel angry at someone, do it -- let the rope out so when he finally hangs himself you can pretend it's his doing.

If you like living with people whom you have no respect at all for, be as unhelpful and as non-communicative as you can manage, so they have no possible way of helping you be happy and you have as much evidence for your #2 list so you can wave it all under his nose whenever he makes ANOTHER mistake.

Alternatively, you could put on your respectful and patient voice and say 'I see you forgot that next Friday is my birthday... is it too late to fix that or do we need to plan the dinner for another day?'

Do you want to be happy or do you want to be right?

Acceptance (of people's mistakes), flexibility (it HAS to be Friday?) and
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Leave it enjoy yourself than when he comes home he will look like the jerk and make him pay for it-litterally make hime get you a good gift!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011