anyone think it is wrong for me to get my son

to do dishes, luandry, cook cookies, vacuum, and other girly stuff/
his dad says thats a girls job but i say bullshit the only way to get my boys to grow up and not depend on a girl to clean his house and do his luandry is to teach them how to do it and teach them to do it for themselfs. sorry they are ages 8 and 11.

justgg

Asked by justgg at 8:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• My husband and I are in agreement on this one. ALL of our kids, boy or girl, need to learn certain skills in order to be self sufficient. Why teach your kids to be dependent on someone else? Chances are they will be on their own at some point, so why not prepare them for it?
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I say right on mommy! That's the way it should be!
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 8:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• BS! to the dad! What's wrong with them learning to help??? Like you said, your sons does not need to grow up not knowing how to do anything for themselves!
    Anonymous

• Who says girls just have to do it? That's BS LOL
    Anonymous

• My son is 19 and he knows his way around a kitchen. He cooks, cleans, vacuums and makes really good zucchini bread. :) These are life skills and you are a good responsible mama for having them learn them.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• all of my kids have chores but I do tend to agree I am kind of old fashioned that way but I also think that we are raising a bunch of wimpy men I think boys should work and have chores my kids work with me and my dh hubby from the time they a small dh out fixing the car and the boys are right there with him learning and working and my girls work with me doing dishes and laundry cooking. But does that mean I think that means they shouldn't learn no I just think there is a line between men and womens chores JMO
    Anonymous

• All three of ours do chores and there is no boy/girl differentiating. My 10 yr. old ds does dishes, loads and empties the washer and my 9 yr. old dd bags and takes out the trash and they switch. And even my 6 yr. old dd has done them all. It's our thinking that in order for them to be able to take care of themselves and their houses when they are out on their own, it has to start now.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• BS to the dad your are installing life long lessons in that child by making him do those things and no they are not girly he shouldn't depend on mom to do something just because its girly until he finds someone to marry and then let her do it all thats crazy and at ages 8 and 11 its not like your asking for to much, one day they will thank you for teaching them how to depend on themselves not to mention the fact that your teaching them responsibility now and showing them that they are a vital part of the family as well and that includes yes doing girly things sometimes just tell hubby to grow up......... or better yet refuse to wash his clothes for a little while lol
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh lord, I've been to the "bachelor pads" of the men your husband would be happy to raise! Cant clean or cook to save their souls and it showed! Its important for boys and girls to both be able to take care of themselves when they're in the real world.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have no issue with boys doing chores around the house. And if your husband wants your sons to marry a real woman then he better teach them that REAL men clean the house, do laundry, change diapers, cook, bake, and volunteer to go on school field trips with the kids. Its a 50/50 world out there. Archaic is any man's thinking that a woman is only good for sex, cleaning house, and raising the kids. And my son also plays with dolls, has a action figure club house (doll house), loves to cook, and he helps his mom clean. He is just as comfortable with tools, sports, and the remote control. Of course he's just a toddler. But he is learning that there is no such thing as a man's job or a woman's job. He is learning how to be a good spouse and dad through his play. Lucky his wife.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2008