Anyone have any information about a soft heart murmur?

Took my one year old to the pediatrician today for his one year check up and she heard a soft heart murmur. She told me that it is nothing to worry about right now, but I am worried and just want to know what the worse case scenario is. The best case she told me that it just goes away. So any good websites, I couldn't really find much.

LilLegs

Asked by LilLegs at 8:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has a innocent murmur, I was all panicked ready to hear the words "open heart surgery" from the cardiologist, but he jsut said he is fine, nothing to big to worry about and if anything changes his ped. can send him back, but he doesnt see that being the case! And so far he is right my son was diagnosed at 6 months & will be 2 in feb.

i hope this is a lil bit reassuring!
    TAY-NATESMOM

Answer by TAY-NATESMOM at 8:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My little brothers heart murmur is cause by one of his valves not closing tightly enough, and the only effect it's had in his life is that he has to take antibiotics before he can go to the dentist. That's all I know about it, he's 27 now.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 8:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My 1 year old has an ASD...Arterial Septal Defect. It is a hole in the heart. The docs told us that we need to follow up with a cardiologist in a year and if it doesn't close he may need surgery. Alot of heart defects in Children do get outgrown. Just do what your doc says and if you have not gotten a referral to a cardio then I would ask for one. At least that way they can do an echo and an EKG...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• nothing to worry about i always had a heart mumur and my 4 yr old do to in some kids its just a stage it might just past.
    euphoriamom

Answer by euphoriamom at 4:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009