How young is too young to wear makeup?

I decided to buy my daughters age 9 and 10 a little makeup set for Christmas, And after showing them how to use it correctly I told them If I approve they can wear it outside the house, to school, the store etc. Mind you they are ONLY allowed to wear a little bit of eye shadow, blush and lipstick/lipgloss. Do you think they are too young for this still? They have done fairly well at putting it on with a few corrections in the morning and are not allowed any dark colors just light colors and wear.
So your opinion do you think they are too young still? Or is this age and small amounts ok to start with?

bdiane34

Asked by bdiane34 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My mom has always said it depends on if the parent wears make up when the appropriate age for the kid to experiment. If a mom wears make up your daughter is likely to wear make up. My mom wears make up, like chapstick, that's enough for her. I wear mascara, maybe eyeliner, and then tinted chapstick, my sister is 12, turning 13, and just got some make up and I am taking her to get some bare essentuals for her 13th birthday because she has bad acne and wants a natural make up to help cover it. I first experimented with makeup like I shadow @12.

It really just depends on the kid, the mom, etc.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I got clear mascara, and "fancy" clear chapstick, when I was 11 or 12. I wasn't very into make-up (still not)

I mostly used my mom's make-up for making fake wounds for plays and such. :)
    Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• This was always in the realm of 'I so don't care at all'... my kids had face paint, washable markers and makeup to play around with since they were really young.

While I was absolutely gleeful to laugh at their creative use of all of them, I was never willing to 'approve' anything... not my face, none of my business. Of course, I also dyed my kids hair blue and pink and red, as soon as they thought it was a good idea.

On the upside, this meant that by the time my kids were 13 or so, the allure of freaky looks was completely past, and they both took up wearing natural hair colours and flattering, simple makeup.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My daughter is 13 and now in 8th grade. In our area most girls started wearing light makeup in 6th grade. In my honest opinion I think your daughters are a little too young to wear makeup to school. I can see if you are going out to dinner or something, but they seem a little too young too be wearing it too school. I hate to say this but you have to wonder what the teachers and other parents will be thinking if they see your daughter's wearing makeup at thier ages. People are judgy. I also wonder if your daughter's will think they need makeup too feel good about themselves.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thank you for the replies everyone. I appreciate it. I dont think my daughters feel they need makeup to feel good about themselves they are just eager to grow up. It doesnt help that is is a very small school and they share a classroom with 4,5, and 6th graders. I know that half the girls in their class wear makeup which is another reason I decided to let them try it. I do make sure it is very lightly put on and no dark makeup, no mascara, no eyeliner, no base or powder just a little eyeshadow, blush and lipstick.
    bdiane34

Comment by bdiane34 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011