Good-bye carpet, hello what?

We have to take up all the carpet in the house because of my children's allergies. I don't mind, it's not in the best shape, but we don't have the budget to put down any type of other flooring for at least another year. What do I do in the meantime?

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 1:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• A good friend did the same thing --same reason. They bought marine-grade polyurethane coating and painted the subfloors... some of them they painted to look like better wood (with stains .. one room looked like it was hardwood with darker inlay borders) but most of them they just painted --speckled in the kitchen to hide the dirt, light in a dark hallway, mellow colours in the bedrooms. They even put sand into the urethane at the doors, to make a non-skid surface that would take years to look worn.

Your subfloors are already wood, they're just not finished at all. Finish them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I guess the answer to this depends on what you have underneath the carpet. If it is hard wood, you have your answer. If it's not I guess it depends on any safety/health issues with whatever it is. Some of our local flooring stores offer 1 year, no payment financing. Maybe you could check with your local stores and see if they have any programs that could help you.
    lori57703

Answer by lori57703 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Unfortunately underneath our floors are cement, there lying the problem.
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Inexpensive linoleum.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It depend what your floors look like under the carpet. You might be lucky and the floors under are in good shape.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2011