On chemo, going crazy about hair

I'm on chemo (not for cancer but for rheumatoid arthritis) and I wan't supposed to lose any hair because it's not as strong a dose as they give for cancer. Boy did I prove my doc wrong. I used to have great hair that went to my waist. I got tired of shedding constantly and pulling giant chunks out of brush so I went and got it chopped off on a whim on Christmas Eve Day. I hate it now, but what's the point of having long hair when it doesn't look good? Any ideas besides buying a wig? My hair's just thin, now, no bald spots, by the way.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 2:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Pamper what ever hair you have left. Scarfs / Hats are great options, also hair accessories. check your area for stylists that specialize or have experience working with what I call medical hair ( thyriod has laid waste to my once beautiful hair) when I am super thin on top I use different products and style my hair differently. It is hard to not focus on hair but treat yourself to a few makeup lessons and develop the talent to draw attention to your beautiful eyes, great cheeck bones or killer smile. Best Luck and wishes to you.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 8:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'd just get a wig. Sorry to say that but it will grow back, it will be a while, but try to be patient. I cut bangs on my hair and tried wearing make up, got 3 tatoos and went stir crazy waiting for my antiretrovirals to work. Yes I am HIV positive, from a cheating man. But I am alive 15 years with it. And just try some patience.
    And Tattoos are not the answer!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My father was on chemo a year ago and is doing great now, he had esophageal cancer. I hope you feel better soon.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 2:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I lost chunks of hair when I had a bout with alopecia. I had my hair cut short, and wore it spiky. It looked really good, and it didn't look like I was trying to "hide" anything.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Do what will make you feel best. Spiky hair is so in, bald is in, scarves are cool. You have lots of options but only you know what works for you. When my husband was going thru chemo we shaved his head but hair is different for us ladies. Bless you !
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my grandma had alopecia and lost all of her hair and it never returned, so wigs were what she did. I have alopecia too but I am just losing alot of my hair. It has gotten very thin so tomorrow i am actually getting my hair cut shorter and hopefully it will be ok. this is what I am getting done. I hope you feel better and that everything works out for you.

Mom3Elizabeth

Answer by Mom3Elizabeth at 11:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• first off i want to say god bless you my grandmother has cancer and went through the same thing and also chopped her hair off she even lost her fingernails but what she did after getting sick of her hair falling into her food is shave her head and wear a bandanna when she went out now I'm not saying shave your head but you can leave it alone and just wear something like that!

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• can you color your hair? Thhis would be a gopod time t o try a new color. You can learn to rock some cool jewlery now.Shit dont be ashamed of your head. It's a beautiful head :D
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 5:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Your doc is an idiot: some of the chemo drugs make hair fall out and some don't. The dose is irrelevant.

Because I'm not a fan of 'trying to be' hair styles (comb overs, mullets, etc.), I'd shave it off completely and wear hats. Or not. Maybe get a tattoo...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011