Soy Formula?

So I have 10 week old twins who have HORRIBLE gas.... i'm talking about screaming and crying for an hour after they are finished eating.

I have tried similac sensitive, enfamil gentlease, etc and NOTHING seems to work.
I talked to their doctor about maybe switching to a Soy formula and she thinks its a bad idea because soy formula is for babies who are lactose & t.. which she doesnt think my twins are because they dont get any rashes or have bloody stools...

she also says switching their formula will just irritate their tummy more and that they should grow out of it by 3 months.
well, they are over two months now and not showing any signs of getting better. So what the hell should I do?

should I just ignore her advice and try the soy formula anyway? what more damage can it possibly do.. they already cry in pain after every feeding anyway.

opinions please, better yet if you have went through the same thing

****p.s if you are gonna respond with something like "breast is best!" dont even respond... I have no time for organic, baby wearing, co sleeping, anti circumsicion, 5 year olds sucking on my nipple mothers.

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 2:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe it isn't the formula. I had this happen with mine and it actually turned out to be GERD. You can try gas drops at Walmart. they're super cheap, like 2 or 3 dollars last I bought some. They're safe to give baby at every feeding and even once every hour. You can even put them in the bottle itself. Finally, if it's not gas or GERD it could be colic(for which there's no easy fix) or constipation because formula is known for this. In the latter case, try giving baby 1-2 ounces of prune juice a day. I used to mix it right into the formula. It made a disgusting color in the bottle but I didn't care. If you are getting nowhere with your babies' dr, try a different one. They're still young and if you are already having problems with a dr they are sure to escalate.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would call the 1-800 number on the product and ask the people who know what they're talking about. Doctors have been very well trained in diagnosing common diseases and minor surgery.

You'll notice that does not include:

~ nutrition, infant or anyone else
    ~ child mental or social development
    ~ education theory
    ~ potty training
    ~ sleep research

When you realize the scope of your doctor's training, you'll stop asking whether or not it's time for your car's oil change, if the windows you're considering buying are better insulation than the competitors, or if it's better to take the I-90 or the I-70 to Chicago... and which of several varieties of manufactured infant foods is 'better' than another.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My doc told me the same thing about my DS (he's 13 now), and I switched him to Soy. He tolerated that so much better! I also used Mylicon drops, they were a lifesaver. Follow your instincts, I don't think that doctors always know what's right for your baby. Soy formula is just as nutritious as non-soy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Is there any chance that you can relactate, and they can get at least some breastmilk?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2011