Dog attacks adult content

I know I will probably catch all sorts of hell for this question! Anyway,there is a kid that got bit from a pitbull and had 100 stitches on his upper thigh last night. A man was walking his pit on a rope, thats it, no collar nothing. Nobody (reporters) knows why that dog bit that boy, we knew the man had just a rope and thats how the dog escaped and attacked. My question is, why do humans blame the dog and not the human?? I am under no circumstances taking anyone side. When the media and others look at the statistic of dog bites thru out the US and the attorneys that specialize in these cases, come around and start dooling worse the a dog who smells a T-bone steak. Those statisitics are flawed. First, not all dog bites are the same. There is a guy named Dr. Mark Wulkan, who says that "some breeds of dogs have no place around kids. Not surprisingly, he singles out the usual suspects - pit bulls and Rottweilers". This is how the dog bite statistics are flawed. For example, a incident could be anything from an accidental and playful scratch or nip to a full-blown attack by a poorly-trained, aggressive dog. Those reports also include incidents where a scared or injured animal bites a rescuer or vet. When a dog bite/attack occurs and the animal control shows up, they take the report and the dog and report to the proper people. In this type of report, the media will not look at what made the dog attack. For example maybe the dog is sick, bred to fight and the kept as a pet, abuse by the owner and sometimes ther local kids will tormet a dog when it is behind a fence and the dog snaps. ( wouldn't any animal or humans? u can only take so much). The circumstances to why that dog bite someone never gets into that report, but then that wouldn't make headlines. When a dog attacks, just about everyone will automatically assume it was a pitbull or a Rottweiler. That is what we hear about most often in terms of aggressive behavior. So what do ya'll think in the terms of having a dog that is "labeled" aggressive, and do u think that if and when a dog attacks, that the owner should be asked questions and some sort of investigation should be done as to why that dog attacked? And if it finds that the owner was abusing or neglecting this dog he should be brought up on charges, and the possibility of jail time?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What most people do not know is during the WW2 era is that pit bull dogs where the favorite family dogs and considered a great dog for kids because they where so protective and gentle with kids. Mom's love them because they could let the child play in the yard with the pit bull dog and they known the child was safe. I know this is a big off topic but also in WW2 German shepards where the evil dog, and even more recently when the movie cujo came out then Saint Bernard was the evil dog and I can remember dobermans being the evil dog when a movie came out about them.  There is always a evil dog which I believe it wrong because it the dog owners who raise bad or neglected bad dogs. The Media love a Villon so today evil dogs is a pit bull, in a few years it will be a different bread.

KimPrintable

Answer by KimPrintable at 1:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• We've had dogs that we got as pups as soon as it was legal to get them 8 weeks I believe & some of them just turn out to be aggressive dogs. Others I think are owners & I agree - if a dog has bitten someone then it needs to be put down. In CA putting the "beware of dogs" sign up is just asking for a lawsuit because ppl will purposefully get bitten so they can sue the owner - sad very sad!

It does suck that pits get a bad name but I've seen 1st hand with 3 diff pits in the last 4 years are not nice dogs. My MIL's pit mix will come up snapping if you even come within 5 ft of her while she's sleeping. makes me very nervous as it's very difficult to explain to a 15 month old & a 3 yo to stay away from the dog when other times the dog is trying to lick them in the face. I'm nervous that she's going to snap at the wrong time & hurt my babies
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• as soon as it was legal to get them 8 weeks

Legal???? Do you mean recommended?

Dogs have personalities and can have flaws just like humans. I know several people with pits and rotts that are very gentle and friendly. People with little or know understanding or experience in how to treat and raise a dog should not have aggressive natured breed.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I agree more often than not it isn't the dog's fault. We have a lab/pit mix. I've had family members, one of whom has never had a dog that DIDN'T bite, chastize me for having him with my kids. I'll put my dog against any other dog any day of the week. He's a baby. I would never say he won't bite because any dog will bite under the right circumstances (or wrong I guess) Being a pet owner is a responsibility that is not all fun and games. If you know your dog is fearful keep him in his comfort zone or work with a trainer to address it.  I think bites should be thoroughly investigated to determine the cause.

sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• cont..because golden retrievers arent supposed to act that way...and they look at me as if i trained him to be like that!! i have a kid..and nieces and nephews, WHYYY would i train my dog to be like that??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• .because golden retrievers arent supposed to act that way...and they look at me as if i trained him to be like that!! i have a kid..and nieces and nephews, WHYYY would i train my dog to be like that??

***
    Is your retriever a mixed breed or purebred?! We recently adopted a shelter puppy--Newfoundland/retriever mix, and BOTH breeds are well known to be ultimate family dogs and rescuer types--so put together, we have a "gentle giant" on our hands!

I'm wondering, if your retriever, if it's a mix, is part Rottweiler, Pit Bull or German Shepherd breed mixed in--even if it's mother and/or father were mixed breeds? Shelters often do not know the true breed mix in their dogs.

When we were looking at shelter dogs we were amazed that some shelters tried passing off a black retriever/pit bull mix as just a black retriever! It was OBVIOUS this dog had the face/head of a pit bull--the beady eyes, ears, & snout were dead giveaways!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You can make any dog mean and dangerous. We have a vicious little terrier dog who constantly gets under the back fence with her snarling and barking at anything that moves and has actually bit my brother as he walked through the yard. The only reason I have not called the cops is because I know my elderly dog would not survive the week because they are vindictive people. They have a young lab who used to be sweet but is now barking and growling when we go into our back yard. Either the owners provoke him that way or he just took it up because the other dog. For the most part it is the people who make a dog "bad" . We had a German Short haired Pointer who was huge and though sweet as can be would automatically get between the family member and a stranger. No barking or growling but we were responsible pet owners and had him trained when he was a pup. The owner makes the difference
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• it actually kinda weird, cuz my whole life (im 28) ive always believed it isnt the dog..its the owners! i've had dogs growing up, my whooooole life...and yaa, i've always thought it was the owners...and then 3yrs ago i got my dog, a golden retriever..i got him when he was 4 months old..i trained him, i took him to doggy school, did everything..and yet i swear to god, he thinks hes a frickin pitbull!! he HATES strangers!! he has never done anything..but im scared that he would..he barks and growls and jumps at the strangers when i take him for walks, or when ppl come over..it absolutely sucks!! and yet my daughter can ride him around like a hes a horse, and he LOVES it!! he shows NO agression to my family, whatsoever! but, with strangers, he gets verrry protective. so it leads me to think, that it might not always be the owners! im a good owner..and the looks and comments i get from people absolutely suck..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My Grandaddy always had a pit bull on the place, they are great watch dogs. It never occurred to us to be afraid of the dogs and there was never a problem. My sister had always had them..she has a pair right now...again never a problem. I had a little bittty poodle that would bite strangers if they got in her space. She bit 2 maintenance men that entered my apartment...it's really best to let the resident know you are coming in before you do. I think a lot of it depends on breeding and lots of pits have been bred to be aggressive.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have always owned a dog, or 2 or 3...We recently had to put down our cute Jack R/beagle mix as he started biting adult men. He was about 10 ten years old and healthy, but became a fear biter. As a person who has had a bad bite from an unknown dog, I do NOT trust ANY dog, primarily those I do not personally know. I would never put my face near any dog's(or animals) face....not even my 2 lovely girls' faces. (short haired pointer and yellow lab).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2011