Anyone else experience the same problem with toddler? need help asap

My son is 2 1/2 and he has his tantrums but lately he has been overreacting like when i tell him to go to bed he screams when lights go out saying i stole his eyes, when we eat i take his toys away so he can eat if not hes distracted and he wants to slam his head down in the table and scream hysterically. And in public hes gotten terrible we cant tell him anything he wont like without him screaming that we are hurting him and for my husband and i to leave him alne, my husband does spank him on his bottom and he wears diapers so it really doesnt hurt i try to talk and reason beacuse i dont like to spank,but nothing is working he punched me to the back of the head when i was talking to my husband over phone awhile ago, my husband asked about him i said he refuses to go to bed and next thing i knew i got smaked from behind, i need advice. I hope we resolve this son because im pregnant and due on may 3 and do not want him to hurt his baby sister during his tantrums.

Snavarro08

Asked by Snavarro08 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you and hubby consistant with punishments?
    SarahMerritt_22

Answer by SarahMerritt_22 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• yes when we take his toys away he cries it out, yesterday he told me he couldnt breath because he needed juice, lately he wants to drink more than eat i told him to eat his food andhe screamed saying he is choking, we are getting extremely feed up with his behavior, he started to act like this about a month ago
    Snavarro08

Comment by Snavarro08 (original poster) at 3:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Temper tantrums are late-stage indicators that the child is stressed out, unsettled, too hungry, insecure, thirsty, exhausted or put upon. There are earlier symptoms for all of those, and it is a wise mother who looks for ways to avoid the problems that set up a child to fall apart.

Back up. Look at what is happening before it comes to this. The only thing you can do about a tantrum once it starts is avoid making it worse (there is nothing so wrong with a toddler that screaming at it won't make infinitely worse), make sure the child doesn't hurt himself or anyone else (you are bigger than the 2yo, right?), and wait for it to pass. Once it's past, the child will have little or no memory of it, but since he had absolutely no control over it, you can safely stop talking about it with the child forever.

Offer high-nutrient food more frequently. Offer water regularly. Ensure activity is followed by rest. Expect him to be 2.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Thats what they call terrible two's, then treacherous threes, fearsome fours, fighty fives, then they mellow out' they also get jealous, when mommy is going to have,another baby, they do tend to throw, tantrums; Although I believe he' acts quite normal, he will change' Bless his heart' mommy this is a whole new world for the little fella; I had 3 , and all were differant' GB, and good luck
    lizardpig63

Answer by lizardpig63 at 3:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• It sounds like he isn't getting enough attention or is overly tired. I have a daughter who is the same age and she is sweet as honey unless she is overly tired or thinks she has been neglected in some way.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• it sounds like he's crying out for attention, all kids find some way to do it, and acting out always gets the attention. let him throw his tantrums and leave him alone while he does it. stop giving any type of attention for negative behavior. take him to his room and let him cry it out, but no more than that. if you stop responding to it, he'll stop doing it. a swat in public is good, then stick him in his stroller, strapped in, and let him scream. also, trying to talk it out with a 2 1/2 year old is pointless, he is too young to get what you are saying, ya know? hang in there, and remember he is 2.

nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Wow...that needs to be corrected now before he gets older. Otherwise he will continue to think that this type of behavior is acceptable from him. I had a similar problem with my son and he was just getting worse by the day. He would really act out in public--he figured out that we were less likely to discipline him in public and that was extremely embarrasing! There is a parenting course online that gives somee very  useful information. I tried a few with my son and they worked like a charm. If you go to this website they offer free audio on parenting during the terrible twos stages and correcting the childs behavior. It gives a lot of useful tips to keep you sane and in control too. I hope this helps. http://6748byvnxx8w0q1p9oybn5fcwv.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CFEMUM

Neoshi G.

Answer by Neoshi G. at 3:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think that maybe making sure he's getting enough to eat / drink throughout the day in addition to telling him in advance what is going on may help out.

IE: Ok we're going to read a book & then it's time for bed - just for example.
    First _________ then ________ ..

Some kids rely on schedule & don't do well with things that happen suddenly.

We decided to try doing time outs for minor things & only spank when our boys are doing something that is harmful to themselves or others so that my DH & I were being consistent w/ punishing since I'm a SAHM & DH works all day that way when DH got home, I could have a break & he could take over with both of us doing the same things
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I would take good long look at the food you're giving him. Take all processed sugar and red No.5 dye out of his diet. When you do this, it will get worse for awhile, because his body now craves it. Also look for any type of caffine. My oldest son didn't go through the temper tandrums but he was very overly anxious and hyper. Once we did this he calmed down after a week or so dramaticly. Every once in while something would slip through and he'd be off again.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• sounds like he is finally realizing theres going to be another baby around and he wants to be the baby still. when i found out i was having my second my son had just turned 1. he was fine until he felt the baby kick and when i wasnt able to carry him anymore. omg i swear over nite he changed. what we did was i made speacial time for him. during the day i would tell him ok lets go rest on mommys bed. he and i would cuddle and watch a video and slowly he realized that nothing really was changeing. when dd was born he was 17 months old and i made him a BIG part of caring for her. she was born with sleep apena and wore a monitor. when we would go in public i would tell him ok big brother u make sure sissys carseat is covered and that she is safe. he liked being involved with the baby. he would tell people who got to close to the cart. no my baby. very cute
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011