How can you balance your work with your family?

rash001

Asked by rash001 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• We sacrifice me working & making money so I can be home w/ the boys. We determined when I was PG w/ #1 that for what I would make working since I don't have a degree, that my wage would cover gas to / from work & daycare for our son leaving maybe $100.00 a month left over out of my paychecks. To us, $100.00 a month more was NOT worth our child(ren) being in the car of someone else 50 to 60 hours a week - basically raising them instead of us.

Now that we have 2 kids, we can't afford for me to go back to work! We actually just checked into daycare / preschools tonight & it would be about $800 - $1000 a month just in daycare / preschool not to mention all the added expense of gas & maintenance on my car from driving tons more
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The happiest moms I know are sahm and hubbies make a crapload of money so that they can be home. Otherwise if you are a sahm you are sacrificing money and if you are a working mama you are sacrificing time with family.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• You can't.

One has to come first... and which it will be is entirely the choice of each woman involved. The fact is, at the worst possible moment, you will be required to put one or the other first --you will have no choice at all when that moment happens, and it will. When you think you can have it all, all at once, you will find that what you can have it utter insanity.

Did you see the OJ trial? That woman lawyer, in the middle of a custody order to not miss ONE more afterschool pick up, or she'd lose access to her daughter forever, the judge said 'we'll have a meeting in my chambers following this session until 7pm' --it was job or family, right there, as big as possible. Everyone ends up in a situation like that, often over and over and over.

As a SAHM, it wasn't a sacrifice to turn down money to stay with my family --managing money is something everyone needs to do, whether they have millions or $4. Time's the same.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• When I have worked, I have worked here and there, not needing to but just needing time out the house, and I would just work and come home. I worked part time so no need to try and balance it was a matter of sanity really. Work Therapy.

But Now I have been in school full time and I am going to work again because we need to move, so even though my SO supports us, I will be working because I need to get some cavities filled, and to move and I don't want to destroy our monthly budget because I still have a tuition. I plan on balancing the same as I did last semester, do homework when every one is asleep and when I'm off work come straight home.

I am currently a SAHM but I have a PT job starting soon and school starts in a week and a half. Woohoo, end of Sophomore yr of college
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• When you're home make sure you're actually home. That might mean less computer or tv time. But it's worth it IMO. Get the kids involved with things that need to be done ie.) making dinner, laundry, cleaning etc. You can make it fun for them.

Make plans to do fun things on your days off. They don't have to be expensive... sledding, going on a picnic, a trip to the library etc.

It's not easy to balance work and family, but you can do it. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2011