How do I get this to stop?

I have noticed that my 13 month old daughter literally pulls and pulls at her hair when she is sleeping or when she is falling asleep is this normal and how do i break the habit i'm afraid she will never stop...

Sweet_Pea09

Asked by Sweet_Pea09 at 3:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be what she needs to do to relax herself. I know from working with autistic children that all kids have different sensory things that calm them & in no way shape or form do I think your child is autistic :)

My 3 yo sucks his thumb all the time - not just when he's tired. He'll walk around the living room playing w/ toys while sucking his thumb - just his thing I guess.

I wouldn't worry unless it gets so bad that she starts to lose a bunch of hair - maybe talk to ur pedi then
    bethany49

Answer by bethany49 at 3:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• ok thank you and yes she does occasionally play with her hair when she is playing and things during the day
    Sweet_Pea09

Comment by Sweet_Pea09 (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Sounds like she does that as a comfort while falling aslee. My dd does ths thing where she rubs her feet together while falling asleep its so cute. I suggest giving her a small stuffed animal to sleep with, maybe one with a little hair on it that she can pull lol. It's ok at her age to have a little animal, she's out of the SIDS stage.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My son plays with his hair when he's falling asleep. Unless she's actually pulling it out I wouldn't worry about it.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• my son pulls his hair to calm hisself down he is also 13 months.
    tenya_novak1029

Answer by tenya_novak1029 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2011