god said in the 10 commandments "thou shalt not kill" then does it not bother any one that he led the children of israel into battle against other tribes?

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 3:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Shhhh...

Look not to that document for internal consistency...

And, the original translation was 'shalt not murder the innocent.' I suppose the infidels didn't qualify.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• how do u know what the "original" translation is/was??
    maya123

Comment by maya123 (original poster) at 3:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't question the accuracy of the Bible or God. He created me and everyone else and the air we breathe and everything.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We are supposed to see that the armies were placed before those who had rights to kill them. The land belonged to the Israelites, so by battle back to them who didn't really possess it , those who were not given authority to claim it before the Israelites.

So in bible terminology someplace probably in Isaiah, many statements are made to who is given portions and who is allowed to have permanent residency. Many times these lands were prime stock breeding grounds and full of fertile soil which was scarce and highly sought after. Israel was not to repeat the Egypt past slave trapped lifestyle. SO GOD set them into battle rights, and those lands were promised somehow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The correct wording would be 'murder'. God has purposes well beyond our limited human understanding. How God chose to deal with the Israelites, for me, is one of those purposes.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• *sigh* Apparently you missed that clause in parentheses and VERY small print .... Thou shalt not kill (unless God tells you too)

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't question the accuracy of the Bible or God. He created me and everyone else and the air we breathe and everything.  And this is the problem with a lot of christians.  They need to question their buy-bull more closely.  Moses came down from the mountain with the commandments and found the Israelites dancing around a golden calf.  Now the people hadn't heard that "thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images" and yet god ordered the slaughter of all of those who worshipped the calf AND their families.  And from that time on the Israelites were under orders to "utterly destroy" any city they came to, from the men on down to the unborn babies (god, the first abortionist!)  This bothered me when I was a christian and it bothers me now.  This is unacceptable, people.  One rule for god and another for human?  Something's wrong here!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't know Hebrew, but the Jews I know who are familiar with the language have helped me understand this commandment. In Hebrew, it does specify "unlawful killing" (aka murder), Apparently is was the King James version that mis-translated it to "kill". But I suppose that a few of these problems would come up when translating into any new language...
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• That should read "Thou shalt not commit murder," but was not translated 100% correctly. While murder is never acceptable, we know even in modern times that sometimes war is a necessary evil. It's sad, but it's true.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• There's a difference between outright killing (murder) and killing to protect. If someone is trying to kill you you should fight back to protect yourself, your family, your neighbor. If they are trying to take your land and are going to enslave or kill you you should fight back with whatever means necessary. It's not logical that you would just sit there and let someone kill you or enslave you and destroy your country. God also knows that people make wars and are unjust so he tells us that there are circumstances where you must fight back even if it means to the death. At least that is my Islamic perspective on it. In the Qur'an we have specific rules of when it is permissible and I believe those same guidelines are inherent in the bible as well. Both also teach that mercy would be better than killing if your enemy will cease fighting/enslaving/etc...
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 2:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2011