Question about Paxil

My MD prescribed me Paxil for my anxiety/Depression. For thos that have taken it please answer these questions. How long does it take to work, has it worked well for you, what side effects and how ong the side effects last. And any other infor that you might have. Thank you so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Health

• 2-3 weeks for full effect

side effects for me where extremely lowered sex drive as long as I was on it.

plus it didn't work for me.

with anxiety & depression, you may need to test meds for 3-4 weeks each until you find the right one for you. so don't get discouraged if it doesn't work and the doc switches it on you
    Anonymous

• Answer number 1,hit the nail right in the head.I was also on paxil,for along time,it worked well for awhile,but quit workng,so I was switched to lexapro,until it quit working,now I am taking Cymbalta,wich is working well.Give it at least 3 weeks,before getting discouraged.Good luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I took Paxil and gained 50lbs on it. I thought it was just me, so I googled the words "I gained 50lbs on Paxil" and you would not believe the stuff that came up.People reported 30-50 lbs of weight gain. And not only that, when I came off of it, it was like when you see people on tv coming off of HEROINE! I was SO sick.......it was awful. This was 5 years ago and since coming off of it, I get these awful migraines, where I never had a migraine before in my life. I was 24 when I started taking it. Ones that make me physically ill and its not just my head, but my back and neck hurt so bad during these migraines that I feel like I've literally been hit by a car. It's agony. Now, true enough, the last year or so the migraines and back and neck pain are less frequent. But I'd have to say I still get them once every 1-2 months. But, I also have to say that everyone is different and your body might not react that way. Good luck hon.
    Anonymous

• It never did work for me. Well it did totally kill my sex drive, and make me gain a bunch of weight.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My DH is on it and its working really well for him. He's been on it for about a year now.
    Denise859

Answer by Denise859 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I took it for a while. It really does lower your sex drive plus it made me very compulsive. It made me act like someone else. Just be careful and watch for signs. I feel this medication was a contributing factor in a lot of mishappenings in my life while I was on it. After i got off paxil i took lexapro. It did nothing. After that i took Effexor. That worked the best for me. I am now med free for almost 3 years and am feeling pretty good.
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 9:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2008