What are your thoughts on state-run gambling as a form of taxation?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 5:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOVE IT!! Assuming the money actually goes towards state budgets! Gambling is completely OPTIONAL, so if you feel you have the disposable income to blow on games of chance, then by all means, might as well give it to your state!! :o)

Here in the Lehigh Valley area of PA, a few slots casinos recently opened. Our local news ran a story about "opening day" and I laughed when I saw all of the senior citizens lined up around the block and clamoring to get in!! Makes you lose SOME sympathy for the perpetual "fixed income" whiners.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's good for the state. I live in Alabama, where we don't have the lottery or anything. So we have Alabamians going into Tennessee and Mississippi and giving their states money. If they want to do it they will go where they have to go to gamble.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think it's great for the state as well. Here in Ohio, we have several "border" states that have gambling. There are regular bus tours to the local casinos, that money should stay here in Ohio. This past election we finally won the vote to allow gambling, and the riverfront will be developed with casinos. It's going to put a lot of people back to work!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm not one to gamble...too cheap. But am happy for anyone else who does enjoy it and can. A great revenue maker, but once the money comes in it is often allocated to other programs. The GA Lottery was supposed to be a major funder for our school systems. The lottery has just as much business now as ever but for some reason our schools are hurting and suffering cutbacks and layoffs. Why? Because the politicians started putting their hands in the Lottery booty to fund other projects.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• We have the lottery, but very little goes where it's supposed to, just like anything the government takes over, it's poorly managed and uses lots of money for management.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have nothing against gambling though I don't participate. I'd be worried about the money not going towards anything good. We have the lottery and it was supposed to go to schools but the schools are not seeing the benefit. It will end up being just another slush find for them to waste.
    That being said, I suppose most would be aware of that and if they don't mind knowing their gambling money is going to line pockets then so be it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• To each their own.. Go for it! I wish Ohio had vioted it in while we were there... We would drive to Indiana Casino's for couples getaways, when we would rather stay in Ohio...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• The money will not go to where they say it should. Just like the lottery was suppose to go to schools and our school do not see it.
    bmswifey

Answer by bmswifey at 1:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2011