Are you passing down childhood moments?

what have you passed on to your children that you did as a child? Like learning skiprope, hopscotch, Hide & seek, crafts?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 6:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL ... I'm sorry, my first thought when I read your question was: "No, but I pass winds occasionally." Disgusting me. lol Forgive me, I'm tired and giggly. -No, but seriously. I tried to create a christmas eve like the one's I had when I was little. It wasn't perfect, but close. (That's what you get from husband's interfereing.) And other than that, there ALLWAYS a bedtime story and a lullaby. Also because somedays it's the only quality time we have together.
    There was also music in the house. Usually musical instruments. Nobody of my sibling (or me) really followed through with it, but it's still nice to play around sometimes and have a basic understandig of how to read the notes. In fact I got myslef a set of bongo drums last week (they were so cheap and I couldn't resist). Probably not top end quality, but still fun to make Jessica dance and train the left and right half of my brain.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 9:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• All of the above and more! I was a very active child, attended day and residential camps every summer, and was a camp counselor when I was older. So, yeah, our focus has ALWAYS been on outdoor toys/games and equipment!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I have tried to do that with my boys. They always enjoyed learning and I enjoyed teaching them. As they got older and wanted to learn things that I didn't know, like surfing and sailing, I had to find other teachers. They're now grown, and I have a granddaughter that I'm having fun with teaching some girly crafts that they weren't interested in like embroidery and cake decorating.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mother would bring me to Dunkin' Doughnuts for a treat and we would get a chocolate milk and a chocolate doughnut. On occasion I continue that with my son. But mostly I create moments with him and memories since I had parents who were not too interested in doing that with me. My husband was a competitive swimmer and so he spends many hours in the pool teaching my son to swim but from a non pressured stance. And my husband does triathlons so my son also runs, bikes, and swims mini triathlons my husband puts together for him (my baby is four). We also bike in warm weather with my son in a cart behind my husband. We have a zoo membership and spend many weekends at the zoo and have now since he was born. My husband also had books read to him by his dad and we do chapter books before bed to continue the tradition. My husband also had no television when he was young and we also have no television now.  My four

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• year old is also in the kitchen with us. He cooks right beside us. I try to make it so that in each day we do what can create some sort of lasting impression by creating comfortable family routines. Those routines are healthy I hope. Ones that maybe he will decide to pass on to his own children. I started saying each night what I have grattitude for and now he also joins in to say what he is thankful for. And of course the holiday traditions new and old.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• All kinds of stuff. The most recent thing was teaching my kids 4 square out in our cul de sac. I also just taught my daughter some of the hand clapping games we played in elementary school (you know, "Miss Mary Mac Mac Mac, all dressed in black black black") and she loves to practice it with me every night before bed.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• That is awesome Lori! I believe your children are going to be very successful in their lives because you are taking the time to give then a good foundation.

My hats off to you!  bow down

WalknWithGod

Comment by WalknWithGod (original poster) at 6:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2011