Working Moms and SAHM's.... How much is all that you do worth?

Salary.com's 9th Annual Mom Salary Survey Reveals Stay-at-Home Moms Would Earn $122,732 in the U.S. and $135,661 in Canada. *This survey was taken in 09 and they claim this amount will go up. It's been a year since so I imagine the amount has gone up some)*

It has become a popular annual event because it not only recognizes the critical value of what moms do, but educates the public on the key factors that determine what employers are willing to pay for a given job," said Meredith Hanrahan, senior vice president at Salary.com, Inc. "We value the job of mom based on her job description and calculate what an employer would have to pay in cash if they were to hire someone to do all that a mom does."

The job titles that best matched a mom's definition of her work are (in increasing order of the percentage of her total 'Mom Job' salary) were: Laundry Machine Operator, Janitor, Van Driver, Housekeeper, Computer Operator I, Cook, Day Care Center Teacher, Facilities Manager, Psychologist, Chief Executive Officer.

One stay-at-home mom said:
"I think a lot of people think we sit at home and have a lot of fun and don't do a lot of work, But they should try cleaning their house with little kids running around and messing it up right after them."

The biggest driver of a mom's theoretical salary is the amount of overtime pay she'd receive for working more than 40 hours a week. The surveyed moms reported their typical week working 94.4 hours — meaning they'd be spending more than half their working hours on overtime.

A stay-at-home mom is more than full-time. The "job" brings intangible benefits one wouldn't enjoy in the workplace.

"The rewards aren't monetary, but it's a reward knowing that they're safe and happy," Russell( a surveyed mom) said of her sons. "It's worth it all."

***What do you think about this? Found it on FoxNews.

***BTW: Working moms they also said you guys would make more then that almost 85,000 dollars more.

***Thoughts moms?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 6:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have shown this to my dh before and he says he knows I do alot more work then he does even though he tends to complain about his job more lol. I love being a sahm and hate hated working outside the home. My rewards come from knowing I am not missing out on anything when it comes to the kids, especially when they are small and actually want you around. When I worked (and not saying this is true it was just how i personally felt) I felt like I was neglecting my kids in some way. I had to work at that time so I had to do what I needed to do to support them and put a roof over their head, but I always had some guilt about working. When I dont have to work, I choose not to. Now I know some moms who love working and dont feel like I did. I dont think either is right or wrong, we do what works for us and our kids, and both types of moms are valuable and priceless.

Answer by gemgem at 8:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think putting a dollar figure on a SAHM is absurd. I've been a working mom, now a SAHM, and what I do now doesn't merit a 6-figure salary. I know what I do is important, I work hard - but this fairly arbitrary number they throw out there every year is pretty ridiculous. I don't know if they are trying to pump up those SAHM's that don't feel appreciated? I enjoy what I do, I'm appreciated, I don't need something like this to make me feel better about my choice. I already feel good about my choice.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I'm a sahm, used to be a working mom, so I know what its like from both sides. Whenever I am out with dh and we meet someone new, or I meet someone he works with, they always ask what I do. I say"I don't work, I'm a sahm." I don't mean it in a sense that I don't do anything. Dh always immediately pipes up and says"She WORKS at home. She's the CEO of everything and our kids adore her, she is skilled in everything to do with them. She knows what to do right away with the kids." It's been my experience that most of the time, when you tell someone you are a stay-at-home mom, they understand that's a lot of work if they are older ppl or females that are moms themselves but guys most of the time don't get it. When I was a working mom, I often had older ppl giving me guilt trips on not being home with my kids but never from the younger crowd. I just do what is best for our family. I love being a sahm. IMO it's benefits far outweigh.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Both are priceless. A mother is a mother.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 7:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I don't agree with the numbers... don't get me wrong, its a lot of work I get that, but my title at work is "Office Manager" within that are a bunch of responsibilities too. For the last year I have been able to telecommute from home full time, so I work full time for an employer for a full salary, benefits, etc., AND I am the SAHM to a 3 and 5 year old AT THE SAME TIME. While the SAHM part of it is the most tedious and mundane and of course rewarding and I wouldn't change it for the world, to say that I should be paid 6 figues for that part of it is absurd. And if the SAHM salary is calculated so high for overtime, wouldn't working moms get paid their salary at work, and then start their 2nd job at home and get paid for that too? Its just silly to try and figure it. Imagine if men went around talking about getting paid for parenting, we'd all have a fit!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I think the jobs that women do, whether they work outside the home, and then come home from the job to do the many household chores and child rearing tasks that are there waiting for them, or whether they are a SAHM, are often under appreciated. Neither is easy. SweetLoveofMine, what a sweetie you have.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I find that amusing. When I did that survey as a SAHM I didn't come up with that high of an income. But I was honest about how much time each week was dedicated to certain tasks. I also didn't consider myself a CEO, psychologist or any of the other bull on there.lol I understand the point of this is to make SAHM's feel worthy but I felt that way without that. The time I spent with my son was worth so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• All the more reason for SAHM to have a ton of life insurance on them. As Dave Ramsey says, "You'd have to hire Mary Poppins."
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• LoL @ Erica
    I agree with you all. Although being a SAHM is a lot of work putting a price on it is absurd. I do feel that it helps moms who feel unappreciated. Either way I think its interesting.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Hi Get Excited & Stay Excited! What an AWESOME article! I missed out on sooo many moments in my daughter's life because I worked 60 plus hours outside the home. I am now a SAHM/ Mompreneur and it is hard work, but its worth it. I love being able to earn a great income while being able to be there for her. When she wants me to come up to her school for lunch, I don't have to beg boss man or boss lady to leave- I just leave. I can go on field trips with her & just spend more time with her. So for me those moments are priceless... moments I would not be able to have if I was still working as an employee for someone whether if it was an at home job or a traditional job. Being a successful entrepreneur, helping so many other people, earning a great income and staying home with my "mini-me" is the best of both worlds for me!! Thanks for sharing this!! ~Blessings, Love & Light...
    blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 5:47 AM on Jan. 8, 2011