Have you taught your child/children any crafts you grandparents did?

When we were 8yrs old, we learned to sew cloths for our barbie dolls. We we were 11 we learned to crochet and make ponchos to keep us warm in the winter. So many things are becoming a lost art. Most kids only know about computers and texting. With Art classes being dropped because of lack of funds, I was wondering what are you teaching them, if anything?

knitting

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 6:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have boys, and while they WILL eventually learn basics like re-sewing buttons on clothes, and simple mending skills, fabric related crafts isn't on my agenda! HOWEVER, I have taught them how to string cranberries and popcorn to make garlands for our Christmas tree, and many paper crafts--from painting, to rubbing/etching, to cooking/baking.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Awesome Lori! Would you adopt me? LOL You're doing a wonderful job!!! I want to learn how to paint...
    WalknWithGod

Comment by WalknWithGod (original poster) at 6:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• I taught my boys how to hand sew enough to sew on a button and make simple repairs using a sewing machine. They each made a quilt using favorite old t-shirts. And made pillows using old jeans. I taught them to cook. I'm now teaching my granddaughter to do those things as well.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yarn is very very expensive to make anything big. So no. We had the ponchos, and learned to sew the barbie clothes but it was not fun enough to keep going being my parents weren't around. They worked, and our grandparents just did it to pass time, not to teach and really train us long. I do the chain stitch and sc. dc. tc. but to teach my children I'd need to know the pattern and help them to go further than the basics to get their whole minds wrapped into the art, that being said it's very high priced to keep going.
    We do the basic things here so if any older moms, or grandmas know where to get free yarn it would be appreciated.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 7:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• No not really. I have taught them other family traditions I dont want lost. For instance every Christmas eve we make tamales. Its an old family recipe and it is not written down anywhere. So I do that with them and they know how to make them now. We also do make our own Christmas garland out of popcorn, candy etc. I do plan to teach my 5 yr old how to sew.

Answer by gemgem at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• Yep, my Gram was a huge knitter, and my mom also, now me and my girls knit, and my eldest DD does counted cross stitch with me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My mom is teaching my 9 yo daughter how to knit, my MIL is teaching her to sew, and I am teaching her "crafts" (cross stitch, crochet, bead work, etc.). My daughter loves it and I like that she's not only learning useful things, but developing a relationship with her grandmothers at the same time!

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2011

• My kids want to learn to knit (I knit and crochet...self taught as an adult) but I just don't have the patience. I did teach my 10yo the knit stitch but she is horrible at it and won't put any effort into doing it right but demands I show her how to purl, lol. I told her I can't until she can make a full row of knit stitches without messing up a single one. Hasn't happened yet.
    I should get her a cross stitch kit. My aunt taught me to do counted cross stitch when I was 8 1/2. That was the only craft anyone ever taught me. Sewing, quilting, knitting and crocheting I taught myself.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2011